Our Homegrown Orpington & Austral-orpington Chicks - Hatched 2/23

DawnSuiter

Songster
12 Years
Jun 3, 2008
Western Colorado - Formerly E. TN Smokies
My Coop
My Coop
Well... we finally set our very own eggs grown here on the farm. It was a very exciting process. We collected them from the winter setup which was 2 roosters (blue orp & glw) and our mixed flock of black australorps, black orpingtons, buff orpington, glw & slw. Judging by the girls, I'd say these are mostly Australorp & Buff & Black Orpingtons and judging by the boys they all belong to the Blue Roo, and by the number of blue chicks I got!!!

1sthatch09.jpg

The teeny tiny one was the one that hatched without fully absorbing it's yolk. She's doing well now, standing upright & drinking on her own.. started pecking at food too.

I'm SO HAPPY! We put in 7 pullets eggs and got 7 chicks!

So what do ya think of my little guys & gals?? I got 3 blue and the little buff faced one looks blue to me not so much black.

The combs might help you identify who's who. The Wyandotte crosses may have rose combs, the Orpington/Australorps should all have single combs.

They are only 2 days old now..well almost... I think they are all single combs... and no one is showing yellow legs EXCEPT that really light one in the fronts legs look green... yellow wyandotte leggs & blue/slate orp leggs could make green?... but what kind of wyandotte has no stripes or patterns... so maybe it's just a very faded slate

Back
Top Bottom