Dust Bathing? DE?

ChickenMommy

Songster
12 Years
Mar 9, 2007
North East Texas
I am a new Chicken owner. My chickens are 8 weeks old and just moved out to their coop outside. What do I need to do to provide for the for dust bathing?
Also I have read other posts on DE, what's this and do I need to do it for my chickens?

Quote:
P1010108.jpg

Last edited:
Do most people's chickens dust bathe in just plain dirt, or do people make like a little area for them to do this in? It was in the high 80s here earlier this week, and my chicks were having a little jaunt in their yard and learned about dust bathing. They were throwing dirt like crazy! One little buff orp was almost gray by time she got done, but she looked so happy!
D.gif

I wondered if I should dump some sand in one spot or maybe some DE or something for them to bathe in, or if it's OK for them to just use every little spot of loose sand they find.

My chickens like the garden dirt it has been in the 80's here also and their activity has picked up. I also have an area where I dump some sand that is in the sun they also like that area but when I think about they have dusting spots all over the yard dirt or sand it doesn't seem to matter but they sure enjoy it.

Last edited:
They'll dustbathe anywhere...
One day I heard thumpeta, thumpeta and I was like,
hu.gif
I walk into the dining room and Slifer's dustbathing on a spot of sun on the rug...
And Penny's dustbathed in my lap and on my chair...
They'll find their own particular spots and wallow til Doomsday in them. Once they have a spot established, then I'd put a little DE in the wallow.

They'll find their own particular spots and wallow til Doomsday in them. Once they have a spot established, then I'd put a little DE in the wallow.

DITTO!!

My hens' fav spots to dustbathe is in the dirt floor greenhouse---not so good for the plants that are in there---sometimes during the growing season, I go in there and I can hardly see anything green- so I have to "wash down" the plants!!!!
hmm.png

They also like the garden, under the quads, under bushes--any place with some dirt!

Sandra​

Back
Top Bottom