About to purchase my first incubator.. Help? :)

SangaChicken

Songster
10 Years
Mar 12, 2009
Memphis
My chickens are laying like crazy, and I'm dying to see whats inside those eggs. I'm looking to get the most bang for my buck and after doing research, I've found this auction:

This is for the Hovabator 1602N, Thermal Air Flow with Automatic Egg Turner. At the price, $79.99 it seems like the best deal. Keep in mind, I am a hobbyist at best.. I'm not looking for large production or anything like that. Has anyone used this incubator, and if so, was it fairly idiot proof?

Quote:
I spent most of the night with one of these last evening, setting it up and getting it adjusted. First of all, you desperately need a digital thermometer/hygrometer from Walmart or RadioShack or the like. There are models from $5-$7 up to $19.99. It's worth the cost.
Next, test for at least 24 hours to get your temperature right. I set too early last night and got a spike to 104 degrees. I would test the temp for 24 hours, then set your eggs.
Last, don't mess with the temp adjustment once the eggs are in. Placing the eggs makes a fluctuation for several hours... learned that last night too.
D.gif

Back
Top Bottom