Lethargic Hen

wildflower

In the Brooder
12 Years
Mar 26, 2007
San Diego, CA
I have a six month Polish that has been lathargic for a few days, tried yoghurt yesturday, she ate a bit. Today she is lying on her side, can barely stand. I have her inside and am dripping water into her beak. This is the onlly time she opens her eyes. I have checked her belly and her vent, all seems fine...........what can I do?

try to keep her warm and add some electrolytes to the water I am sure someone will be along shortly to give you some good advice on what to do. Just try to remain calm has she eaten anything diffy does she have access to any kind of poisons? I hope everything turns out ok.

Try to get a high protein food into her ASAP. Shredded cheese or cooked egg yolk or wet cat food (wet down dry cat food if you don't have canned). You may have to make it a watery mush if she won't eat and drop it in beak or get her to eat out of your hands. She needs nourishment no matter what else might be going on and if she's been lethargic for days she is weak from hunger.

FORMULATIONS:
Baytril 15 mg tablet (cats and small dogs) Baytril 50 mg tablet (cats and dogs) Baytril 150 mg tablet (large dogs) Baytril 2.5% injectable solution Baytril 5% injectable solution Baytril 10% injectable solution Baytril Max (Baytril 100) 10% injectable solution Baytril 2.5% oral solution (calves) Baytril 10% oral solution (poultry) Baytril 0.5% oral solution (Pig-Doser)

Method of Administration Baytril tablets: for oral use, may be given straight or wrapped up in meat or sausage. Baytril Injectable solutions: for subcutaneous injection in cats and dogs, and for intravenous or intramuscular injection in cattle and pigs. Baytril 2.5% oral solution: to be given in water or milk or milk replacer. Baytril 0.5% oral solution: for direkt oral administration to piglets Baytril 10% oral solution: for oral administration via drinking water.
Dosage Baytril tablets: 1 x 5 mg enrofloxacin per kg bodyweight (bw) daily: 15 mg tablet: 1 tablet per 3 kg bw 50 mg tablet: 1 tablet per 10 kg bw 150 mg tablet : 1 tablet per 30 kg bw Baytril 2.5 % Injectable solution: 0.2 ml per 1 kg bw daily. 0.2 ml is equivalent to 5 mg enrofloxacin Baytril 5% and 10% injectable: The dose is 2.5 - 5mg per kg bw or 5 - 10ml 5% injectable solution (resp. 2,5 to 5 ml 10% injectable solution per 100 kg bw Baytril Max (Baytril 100) 10% injectable solution: 7.5 mg / kg bw is equal to 7.5 ml per 100kg bw Baytril 0,5% oral solution (piglet-doser): 1 pump stroke (1ml) per 2 kg bw is equivalent to 2.5mg per kg bw. In severe cases of respiratory disease this dose can be doubled. Baytril 2,5% oral solution: 5ml per 50 kg In severe cases of respiratory disease this dose can be doubled. Baytril 10% oral solution: the dosage is 10mg per kg bw in chicken and turkeys. This equals drinking water concentrations of 50 to 100ml 10% oral solution per 100 litres of drinking water. Duration of treatment and withdrawal periods according to national registrations.
http://www.poultry.baytril.com/10/Microbiology.htm

Last edited:
Thanks everyone! I am dripping water with Celtic sea salt and a touch of organic sugar and just started with the egg yolk thined with the electrolite mix. She is eating it pretty well and actually sat up and looked around a few times. Everyone keep your feathers crossed for Mz. J....she is a beautiful brown and black Polish with the most amazing head dress.......she is the talker in the flock........oh, what is Baytril?

Last edited:
Glad to hear she's sitting up and eating - sounds like progress. She may have just gotten malnourished. Try giving her canned cat food if you have any - it's a great meat protein source.

So she gobbled down the diluted cat food, then ate some bread crumbs and flax seeds.........got so frisky she tipped over the laundry basket she was in......and pooped twice, she is out in the coop in one of the nests with a bowl of water and I will hope for the best.........thanks for all the help!!!

Last edited:
You might want to bring her in for a special feeding, of that cat food she loved so much, each morning and night for a couple of days till she regains full health and stamina. Sounds like she was just malnourished. Try to verify she is eating while in coop. Plus make sure all chicks get a well balanced diet that includes veggies, fruits and meat protein (dry cat food). I don't believe they get enough nutrition from dry commercial feed alone. I know I've bought several different kinds and each one has different ingredients and percentages and none had any real meal protein. Mine free range in the woods so they get lots of bugs but I also buy crickets once a month and feed them shredded cheese, dry cat food, and black oil sunflower seeds daily.

Thanks Ruth! I am feeding her the diluted cat food three times a day and she is pooping and walking around now. She is mostly lying down but is pretty perky. I have a friend who is a bird expert and he is mixing up an antibiotic solution for her as well. All my birds are given tons of veggie scraps (I am a chef) and have a big yard to scratch up bugs. I feed them organic layer mash with lots of extra flax I mix in myself. I like the idea of shredded cheese and the crickets. Oh, they all consume quite a bit of oyster shell as well. Amazing what a bit of TLC and a teaspoon can do!

Back
Top Bottom