Tell me about your Sebrights please! Pictures would also be great!

mom2chicksandpups

Songster
10 Years
Apr 18, 2009
Southeast Alabama
My husband and I both think the golden Sebrights are beautiful and I also love the silver ones. We were thinking of raising some because we haven't seen any in our area.

So what type of temperament do they have? I don't really like ill-tempered chickens. I primarily enjoy them as pets.

Please tell me about yours or stories about some you have had contact with. Show me pictures of yours!

I assume that I won't find these sold by sex anywhere because of their small size, will I? The hatcheries that I'm familiar with have them as straight run only. I would love to get a rooster and several hens to keep in a coop by themselves.

Last edited:
I talked to a breeder about sebrights. Our hatchery sebrights are pretty, but bigger than I remember from years ago. He said seabrights are difficult to raise, very delicate. Those you get from a hatchery are bigger than standard to get the hardiness needed for a hatchery bird. But mine are very pretty. The rooster is very protective and spoils his ladies something terrible. He has never been aggressive toward me, nor overly friendly, but he was not raised as a pet, but with a larger group of about 25 banties. He does fight through the fence with the OEG Banty rooster. He loves to get as high in the run as he can and crow, but its not near as loud as the big roosters. They are generally sold straight run, so you would probably have to buy started from a breeder if you wanted specific sexes. I don't have a picture of my roo, but here is one of the hens with an oeg hen.
3426618894_401d1a1280.jpg

Last edited:
I have one little chick for sale right now but I don't know where you are. The one I have is almost 2 weeks and has a great personality. It's very curious and has tons of energy. Here's a pic from last week:

27532_217.jpg

I have a hatchery hen and rooster silver sebrights. They are hyper but really tame. Their hyper friendliness makes them fly up on me all the time.

My rooster.

23256_img_1818.jpg

And my hen trying to jump on me

23256_img_1815.jpg

we were given retired pair last year and love them. The rooster would get after us at first just a little, but now eats out of our hands. I can pet the hen some of the time. But we ordered some more this year and are raising 5. we ordered d uccles to and the sebrights seemed much hardier!!!

(Edited to add the Pics)

15624_100_0884.jpg

15624_100_0883.jpg

Last edited:
I love my Golden Sebrights!
big_smile.png
I currently have 6 - 3 pairs - all from Ideal Hatchery. Even though they are hatchery stock they still make me happy. Though I do caution you, the roosters can get cocky if they are not set in line. I've had a couple that didn't like my shoes
roll.png
But I do have one who is gentle and rarely crows. That all may change once he leaves. The roosters can be noisy, but charming. My hens lay consistently. I get almost 1 egg per hen per day; Small, white ones. Be sure to baby them. If not, then they will be flighty around you. I wouldn't worry about them being hard to raise. IMO, it's a complete myth and they are just as easy to care for like any other chicken. Here are some pictures:

P10100190.jpg

P10100120.jpg

P10100220.jpg

P10100030.jpg

P9010024.jpg

P9010019.jpg

P1010031-2.jpg

Sorry if I went a little nuts with them
tongue.png
I also talked to a professional that lives in another town close by me and he said that Ideal is probably the best place to order Sebrights. Good Luck! You made a great choice!
big_smile.png

Back
Top Bottom