Getting a Hen Broody?

The Wolf Queen

Songster
10 Years
May 2, 2009
Albuquerque, NM
Hey everyone. I was wonderin if anyone could answer my question (Look at the title hint hint). Is there anyway you can get a hen to be broody besides the natural way? I have to BANTY hens sittin 30 some eggs and I am worried that some of them arent getting the necessary heat. Please if anyone can recomend something HELP!
barnie.gif

Ok (sigh) and yes I do mean that I think some might be not getting properly covered. Also is there a specific age or something that causes a hen to go broody?

I hate to be the one to tell you, but you have a problem.

First, there is not a way you can convince a hen to go broody. When her hormones tell her to go broody, she will. Until then, no.

With two banties on 30 eggs, they cannot cover them all so they are not all staying warm. What is worse, they will sit on one for a while, it will start to develop, then they will shift the eggs under her. The one that had started to develop will cool off and die while another one starts. Then it will be shifted and die.

How long have they been sitting on the eggs? You might try candling the eggs to see if any are developing, leave them under the broodies, and remove the others. Mark the eggs you leave under them and remove any other eggs the other hens lay in her nest.

Good luck!!

Yes you can make a hen go broody, it will take a bit of time, but it can be done, I have done it many of times.

You take the hen and put her in a box that is totally dark, just enough room for her to sit in there, keep her in that box, let her out once a day to eat, drink, and poo, then put her back in there. Give her a hand full of golf balls or fake eggs. It may take a day or 2 or maybe even a week, but it can be done. I have done it many of times, it does work. Some breeds it dont work so well and some breeds it works very easy.............

Ridgerunneer said: How long have they been sitting on the eggs? You might try candling the eggs to see if any are developing, leave them under the broodies, and remove the others. Mark the eggs you leave under them and remove any other eggs the other hens lay in her nest.

Ok but I need toknow how to candle better than I do. Thge good thing is some eggs were set SAT and SUN others 2 or 3 weeks ago. In case you were wondering I wasnt planning any hatches until this past weekend but to hens went broody. One was missing and one I just thought she was tired or something
he.gif
. But today I checked again and it looks like at least 5 are close. Also can you or anyone else answer, if there is an egg where there is 3/4 air pocket less than 1/4 yolk, thats not going to hatch correct?​

92caddy - in your experience, which breeds have been the easiest to get to go broody? I hear that Buff Orps go broody frequently. If they've just started laying, do you think I need to wait a while?

Back
Top Bottom