Dirt Floor in Coop

I've had one for 2 years and it's been fine. Does get a little damp when we have days upon days of rain but other than that it's dry. I throw down some pine shavings under the roost and shovel it out every couple of months. In the fall I put down straw too, and dig it all out in the spring. I'm in NC and it works fine for me

I have a dirt floor in my coop. I use the deep litter method. I keep 6-8" of 4-5 year old wood chips on the floor. I don't have any problems with this method. I have had my chickens for 9 months and I'm just now thinking about putting in fresh chips. I'll be using the old chips in the flower gardens.

WE have had chickens for a couple of years now and we have always had a dirt floor. This spring has been bad though. Becasue of all the rain. The roof sprung a leak which didn't help matters any. The hubby dug a trench to try to get the water away form the coop but it only helped a little. He replaced a roof for somebody and brought the shinles home that was removed from that house and put some of them in the coop on the floor. Not only did it get rid of the smell but they are dry now. He also fixed the leak.

But previous we would put down a whole square bale of hay in the winter to keep their feet off the damp cold dirt and dig it up in the spring. This year I wish we hadn't done it so soon. It probably would have been better to keep it there a little longer but it was getting pretty smelly. I did notice that the roos feet are gettting red so tomorrow I will add some pine shavings to the top of the shingles. That should help. Those guys are coming out soon anyway and into a new area just for them. They are about to wear my girls out. I have 2 roos and 6 hens. and the roos take turns. Gotta get those guys out and give them a rest. I don't need any fertile eggs right now anyway.

I just took some pics with my phone today of the run we have been working on and some of the chickens and youngsters. I just have to get them sent to my email and then so on so I can get them on here. I will post pics soon of everybody and the new construction.

The floor of my main coop is sand not dirt. I find it is easier to clean as I can rake it out. It doesn't get the smell of DH's coop and its much more economical. It did get alittle colder in that coop so we put heat lamps in at night during the winter.

Dirt floor for 8 yrs. Its a 3-sided coop with the open side facing south into the run. The run is covered with chicken wire on top and 2x4 "dog-wire" for the sides except for about 4 ft up that has chicken wire over the dog-wire.

I have sand in under the covered (tin) coop part, but during the colder months I put down a layer of wheat straw on top of that. When things get a little damp, you will be able to smell it "a spoiled kinda sent" a little more. I sprinkle wood ashes and throw a little more straw down and the chickens work it all in. The next day the smell is gone. The ashes keeps the fly population down too... dosen't eliminate them all, just keeps them in check.

Wow, I didn't know wood ash would do that. Your talking about wood that you burned and the ash from that, right? If so boy could I use up ours. Still burning branches from the ice storm.

Is lime safe to put in the coop under a layer of straw or something else?

Also, I put a fly trap near my coop. It helps deter them to the trap becasue it smells much worse than the chickens. I buy them at Walmart but i'm sure that a farm store has them. They are a plastic bag with a yellow plastic plug looking thing and all you do is cut the plastic where it says to and add water. put a wire or something sturdy through where it says to put a string and hang it where you won't run into it becuse it will stink and you don't want it on you. But it works. Definately don't put it in your house.

we have a dirt floor and mine are fine. I also have ledges all over for them to sit so when it rains they go up.I never even thought to put a floor in it when making it..lol

I do need to put some shaving in there during winter time. My chickens also love that spanish moss.

Both my coops are dirt. I use straw in the small one and wood shavings and pellets in the large one, along with some DE. Gotta get over to the burn pile and gather some of those ashes.... Dirt is cooler for them in the summer than wood or vinyl would be. Just be sure it's higher than the surrounding ground, if you are building one like this, and allow for the inevitable raking out of some dirt. I probably rake the old one about every 4 months.

I've also used pelleted lime to help with odor; works as well as pine pellets (Stall-Dri) in my experience. There is a type of lime you can't use, though, and I can never remember, so I buy pelleted because I remember it's ok! Just need a few handfuls strewn around. Besides, pelleted isn't dusty.

Last edited by a moderator:

Back
Top Bottom