Pipped chick stuck?

sojeo

Songster
10 Years
May 4, 2009
Scotsburn
I have done quite a bit of reading and looking at photos and I think that my chick may be stuck. It pipped around 4 pm yesterday afternoon and it is now 8 am and is still in the same position. I can see it's little head in the hole and the feathers are dry. There is also a bit of membrane glued to it's head right up to it's eyeball and it is pulling a bit on it's lid when it moves. It chirped a little last night now it's not chirping at all, but just moving it's head and beak. I am scared on intervening, but I do really think it is stuck. This is also day 25 and I think it will be the only one that may hatch. Should I just leave it be?

Ok, I had to do something, so I chipped away some shell from around its head and shoulder. The membrane was totally dry, no veins, no blood and wrapped all around it. I then wrapped it in a warm wet paper towel and put it back in the bator and boosted the humidity by spraying. It's now slowly coming out of the shell, I can't see yet if the yolk is fully absorbed but it is chirping a little here and there now. Definitely perked up a bit but still kinda lethargic. I don't think it would have been able to come out on it's own at all the poor thing! Looked like it was in a straight jacket. I'll keep you posted!

You did exactly the right thing, I did two like that last night. I left the part of the shell that was near its bottom , wrapped it in a moist paper towel and put it back in th bator, this morning it was out and doing just fine. I had one die in the shell yesterday moring because I was not there to intervene.
smile.png

Oh, I'm so glad that you guys think I did the right thing! It's almost got it's head totally out and it is pushing with both sets of feet. I still can't see if it has any yolk. Oh, this is so exciting, I just pray it survives!

It's out! It just stood up and pushed itself out of the shell! Woohoo! The yolk is not visible, the umbilical cord just separated on it's own from the shell. There is a little gunk on its bottom where the cord is still hanging. Can I just let it dry out on the screen or should I wrap it in damp paper towel? I think it's doing ok now.

Back
Top Bottom