distended crop

Megs

Songster
10 Years
Aug 19, 2009
one of my 5 month old japanese bantam pullets has a very enlarged crop, it feels full of air, is there anything i can do to fix it?

001.jpg

Have you palpated the crop to see if there is something else in there like fibre or a lot of hen grit?

I've had two kinds of impaction as described here along with what I did, and both hens are well now.

The experiences are here

https://www.backyardchickens.com/web/viewblog.php?id=7693-sick-hen

Try lifting the crop at the base gently to see if there is a blockage, like a stone, keeping the digestive system from being available.

Is there a bad smell around her beak?

Does the pullet welcome examination and massage of the crop, or resist it?

Is she trying to eat and drink?

What a sweet pretty bird!

Last edited:
hi, from what i can tell no bad smell, she dosent mind my poking and massaging it at all, it feels like it is air filled mostly, no hard lumps or anything, she is deffinatly drinking, but was doing a funny head twitch after each sip, which is what had me notice her.

i did some reading up and read that lubricating with olive oil can work, so i syringed some down her throat, massaged the crop, tipped her upside down and worked out some feed (crumble) i probably got it down half the size with 10 minutes massaging food out with the oil. i cant get anything else out though and it is still fairly large. I currently have her in her own cage with only water, i think i will try the syringe oil method again in a few hours and see what else i can get out.

i will have a read through the link you posted, thank you.

Last edited:
Hi Megs- you're braver than I am turning her up[side down! i always worry about a hen aspirating food into the lungs.

Things that will help to dissolve/lubricate the mass in her crop-
unsweetened applesauce, diced tomatoes, diced cucumber, yogurt (if not bad smell as you have stated)

She may be a bird who is growing very fast and is gorging to keep up with calorie demands- her age suggests that. How is she behaving now?

I would continue with the oil, and dampen her feed with water or applesauce and see how she does. It might be as simple as gorging of dry feed with too little water- they do that!
cool.png

Last edited:
i will try feeding her some of the things you have stated, i put her in her own cage yesterday with only acess to water, but will offer her food soaked with applesauce and see if she will eat it. she is behaving normally today, frisky and wants out of her cage.

Back
Top Bottom