Speckledhen Expired babies *GRAPHIC PICS*

Cetawin

Rest in Peace 1963-2021
11 Years
Mar 20, 2008
NW Kentucky
Okay gal..here are the three that expired and did not hatch...they all had good movement on Day 12 and the orp & delaware baby was moving on Day 17

1. My EE - The membrane was intact on all three

7630_ee.jpg

7630_ee2.jpg

2. Delaware

7630_delaware.jpg

7630_delaware1.jpg

3. Smoky's baby

7630_orp1.jpg

7630_orp.jpg

Okay..do you see anything out of place or that could be the problem? I am leaning to your experience in this because I do not know what to look for.

Last edited:
Hi Cetawin, I just wanted to let you know how sorry I am that these babies didn't make it.
sad.png

I'll be watching and learning from you.

Val

PS: I loved following your hatching trials and tribulations. Your babies are so adorable. Thanks!

Nothing is there that I can put my finger on, except on Smoky's, it looks like some intestine is outside the body, but hard to really see if it's that or umbilical cord. Nope, nothing I can determine from the pictures--Smoky's may be due to her molt, but then again, the other two are in your brooder, both from Smoky, so hard to say. It's probably just one of those things. I'm just thrilled that you have four from that process they went through with the heat and the delay in incubating.

You and me and our scientific minds! We just have to know what happened, don't we?

*** looking at the Delaware again, the way the head is twisted a bit too much, could be that it grew too large for its egg. I've had that happen a few times.

Ive had this happen many times in my hatches and Im sorry for your baby chickie loss-Its never fun adn very frustrating
hugs.gif

Quote:
Thank you...I love my new babies too pieces. I am sorry I lost those three but it was just not their time.

Quote:
Okay...now I do not feel so bad. I thought that was intestines on the orp and the umbilical cord was separate from that section. And yes, that Delaware baby's head came out of the shell at the position in the first picture. The second picture was after I moved it to look at it's tummy and make sure there was nothing out of place there. I opened the EE first then the Orp and the Del was last so I went back to check the EE baby too and their tummy area was fine. The orp's was retracted a little like it has taken a deep breath that was never released. I am in agreement that we are seeing part of the intestines.

Yes....I have to try to find out why if I can. It was difficult to open the eggs not knowing what to expect but my need to know if something was wrong with the babies or if it was something I did in some was was stronger. I buried them next to Lilly after I took the pictures.

Last edited:
Those pictures are so sad. Was your humidity too high? I think that high humidity is supposed to make oversized chicks.

No, it was not the humidity. The Delawares are from large stock and some of the eggs had not gotten up to full size. Even when they do, my BBS Orps have been known to be just humongous. And there are probably several causes besides genetics of the parent stock for the size of chicks.

Humidty was good and stayed between 68% - 73% the entire lockdown period and hatch period. They came from excellent large healthy birds so I do not even consider genetics an issue.

These eggs went through a lot getting from Georgia to Oregon and into an incubator. A couple of these babies did have problems which were pointed out above but it was just one of those things that could not be avoided.

I posted the pics as a learning experience for myself and possible other newbies to hatching...it helps to be able to "see" a problem such as intenstine outside the body or a neck bent etc etc.

Back
Top Bottom