Dark Cornish Question....

iluvmychicks

Songster
12 Years
Mar 5, 2007
Indiana
Can anyone tell me if Dark Cornish are sexlinked?? So far I've hatched out two different colored chicks, one with stripes on the back the other without, I've attached a picture for reference. These are NOT crosses, they are pure Dark Cornish.

Thanks!
Shari

689_corish_chicks.jpg

I can't be certain as my Indian Games were in UK but mine weren't sex linked & were yellow with stripes.
It will be interesting to whether is much difference when they feather up.

Thank you for your post, I had two more hatch yesterday the same way, one with the stripes one without. It would be great if they were sexlinked, sure would make things much easier for me!

I'd be surprised if they are sex linked, it seems unlikely. I'd have expected the stripes to be associated with the pattern gene which is one of the genes involved in the double laced pattern.

Are they expected to be the usual sort of double laced pattern? Is it possible they could be jubilee colour?

I believe it is a partridge pattern, so yes it is double laced, let me dig up my pictures of the parents so you can take a look.

Thanks

Those are very nice. A bit off topic, but just wondering, how do you hatch the eggs? Incubator or broody? I'm asking because I've got a pair, and have yet to hatch an egg. I've incubated several of their eggs, and they are fertile, and they grow, but don't hatch. I've got a couple under a broody right now, and hoping they hatch.

Hi Paula,

Ya know I bought this pair a year ago, she laid her first pullet eggs not long after, I sat several with no luck, I was a bit dissappointed at first, I've heard from some folks who raise them that it's very hard to get fertile eggs from them, I would have to AI(artificial inseminate). I left them alone and thought he'll get with the program on his own, he did....this last cycle she went through every single egg was fertile. I sat them ALL under a broody cochin hens all of them hatched! I have more due next week. So the moral to my story is they CAN breed on their own and yes you can get those eggs to hatch. I would have used my incubator, I just had girls waiting for eggs and threw them under. They are extremely vigorous at just a few hours old. It's nice to have the clean legs too, I raise two featherleg breeds and keeping those feathers nice is a chore!!

Good luck!

Shari,
That's good to hear. At least I know I have hope. I've got a couple under a broody D'Uccle right now, and they have about a week to go. I've always got at least a couple of broodies, so if this works, I know what I'll do with them from now on. As I said, the eggs are fertile, so he's doing his job. I just can't get the little boogers to hatch.
roll.png
They're cool looking chicks, by the way. I wondered what they'd look like as chicks. Thanks for posting the pics!

Hi Paula,

I too wondered what the chicks would look like seeing the adults are so unique looking. So glad you got to see what yours are going to look like. Sorry to hear you had bad luck with the incubator, the broody is the trick! Drop me a line when yours hatch. Do you have Dark Cornish?? This last hatch had some silkies in with it and it was amazing how fast the cornish were up running around the hatcher, must be those tree truck legs they have....LOL.

Good luck with your hatch!

Back
Top Bottom