To Light or not to Light?

KnitswithChickens

Songster
14 Years
Apr 7, 2009
Vermont
I see so many different points of view here regarding putting a light in the coop during the winter. I hadn't planned on it since I figured I'd keep the birds in tune with the natural order of things. Is it really bad to trick a chicken's hormones into producing eggs with artificial light? Will the longevity or health of the bird be affected in the long run? Thanks.

Last edited:
After losing six hens to internal laying over the last two years (and having two more still suffering from it) , I won't be using extra light. I did it the very first winter I had hens, but haven't in subsequent years. I figure that if they are already genetically predisposed to egg issues (all were hatchery stock), that I won't push them to lay when their bodies need to rest.

Quote:
I don't use supplemental light, either; I figure it's nature's way to give them a break, so they're ready for the next egg laying season, well-rested, immune systems healthy, ready to rock & roll!

I use a light to give them 12 hours of daylight in winter. They stay out for 14 hours in summer on their own.

Quote:
I don't use supplemental light, either; I figure it's nature's way to give them a break, so they're ready for the next egg laying season, well-rested, immune systems healthy, ready to rock & roll!

I agree with Wynette and Speckled. Mother Nature included a winter break for them for a reason.

Quote:

I agree with Wynette and Speckled. Mother Nature included a winter break for them for a reason.

I also agree!
thumbsup.gif

iv had my light on a timer for 4 or 5 weeks and i have 23 layers and im only getting 9- 12 eggs a day when i should be getting 23 eggs a day they are all laying age 6 months to 1.5 yrs old so u tell me does it matter if they have more light or not . when im not even getting what im supposed to be getting daily for eggs theres a couple molters but all in all my egg numbers should be better. they are healthy birds they eat good. layer mash feeders always full. why so many free loaders i dont know. they get 14 hrs of light.

Another view is that it is known that chickens only have a certain number of eggs to lay in their life. If you push them to lay all winter, then they will lay out at a younger age. If what you want is more eggs for less, it is more economical to push the egg laying, then cull them when the eggs run out. Thats what the commercial hatcheries do.

Back
Top Bottom