7 Wks Later Broody is Getting Her Reward UPDATE W/PIC

~*Sweet Cheeks*~

Songster
10 Years
Mar 12, 2009
Medford, Oregon
https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=236849

Way back in August, my 28 wk old Barred Rock went broody. (I rehomed the only two roos, so no fertile eggs).

She's so SWEET she would let me take the eggs someone else had layed in her nest and she would sit on nothing until someone else layed in her box again.

Week after week she sat. Getting up once or twice a day to go grab a bite, drink, big poo and run back to her nest. At night I would place her up on the roost with everyone else and find her back on her nest in the morning.

Two weeks ago I made a 2 1/2 hour drive south for my first two goats. I heard a lot of crowing and asked if I could take home some possible fertile eggs for my persistant girl. Came home with 6 hopefulls.

On Oct 9th I placed 4 of the nicer eggs under her and candled last night at day 13- all have visible veins and dark blobs. Removed the two that got layed by someone else that weren't fertile. Made the mistake of not marking the ones I put under her.

Next Friday, Oct 30th will be day 21 and I'm hopeful my girl's persistance and dedication will pay off with 4 healthy babies for her to raise and she'll be broody no more. Wish us luck. I feel like I'm going to be a Grandma.

Last edited:
Awwwww... that is so sweet. Good luck to her... and please post some pictures...

clap.gif

I did the same thing. Of course my story is a little different but I got my girl fertilized eggs. It was so heartbreaking to see her go back to the nest and night after night I would put her on the roost etc etc. Her little fuzzy butts (please cross your fingers) should pop into this world starting on Saturday. I'm so anxious I can't stand it.

Good luck with your girl and post pictures!
smile.png

Quote:
What's your story, I'm curious to know? What breed chicken, how many eggs, did you candle the eggs, breed of eggs, have you put your girl in a seperate area from the rest of the flock, etc????

My fingers remain crossed that all goes well for your girl this weekend.

I can't believed I have almost the same story. I just Couldn't break my broody so I got some fertilized eggs and they are due to hatch on the 27th. I did mark the fertile ones because my other girls will get in the same next box with her. There are 2 other empty nest boxes.

My questions is what do I do after they hatch. The next box is to high off the ground and I think I need to sepatate mom and babies from the other hens Correct? When do I move them? I have a dog crate that will make a nice home. Do I just put it on the floor of the coop and hope that mom protects the little ones?

Do I add extra heat of let her keep them warm?

Quote:
What kind of broody do you have and how many eggs does she have under her? Did you candle the eggs to see all have developed? Good luck with your little Momma as well.

My former banty brooder turned nest box with divider I'll remove and add a higher lip to keep the chicks in a couple wks.
24846_nest_boxes_003.jpg

Last edited:
Wow Thanks for the great advice. It is greatly appreciated!
Mom is a Wyandotte and she is sitting on 12 various breed eggs. I did not candle them so I am not sure what I will have. I acquired them from a Craigs list users that was selling vegatables. I ask is she had chickens and roosters. She did and they free range. She gathered some eggs from their favorite spots. I am not even sure they are fertile. Just taking my chances.

Thanks again for the advice.

Back
Top Bottom