Natural products that are very helpful to your poultry.

houndit

There is no H or F in Orpington!
14 Years
Jul 13, 2008
Braymer Missouri
Hi,
I thought maybe we could create a post about all the Natural products that we have found to be very helpful to our poultry.

We use Silver a lot.
When we first started with broilers many years ago, we had coccidiosis. Many of you probably know what happens with that So for a couple years, every time we got new broiler chicks we would give them a medication for Coccidiosis. It was one of the most natural but still not very good medicines. We eventually switched over to silver.
We give all baby birds Silver in place of water for at least the first day. It is amazing. We had one batch that did not get enough. Even though we had not had the virus effect anything on the farm for years they got some. We gave them tons of Silver. It cleared up after a while and they started growing. I highly recommend Silver for most any poultry problem. The nice thing about natural products is ti does not hurt them even if it does not help them, and it often works well. Your birds are healthier and you are also without the antibiotics etc.

Another product I would recommend is an ointment. I have not used it on poultry yet but it works good for other things.
There is one called Dr. Christopher's bone and tissue healer. There is an almost identical product made by an Aumish man in Pennsylvania. A local Aumish community here sells it. It is called B and W ointment. B for Burn and W for wound. My friend that recommended it to me used it on her husband once. She said that he gashed his head on a piece of metal. It was deep enough that she could see the bone. She said he needed stitches but he did not want to go to the doctor. So she put this ointment on it and closed it with strong butterfly bandages. She said it healed in a week. While I may not recommend that you take it quite that far it does seem to work. Her husband has no scar and is in perfectly good health.

I am looking forward to hearing about the natural products that you have found to be useful!

Edited to add https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?pid=3433765#p3433765

Last edited:
houndit, what exactly is silver? I have heard the name before. Where can I find it?

Not sure if it's all-natural, but we use Corona Lanolin Ointment. It's made for livestock, but works great on humans too. Heals cuts/wounds/chapped skin wonderfully. I can only find it at Fleet Farm.

Quote:
Colloidal Silver. I am not sure where you can purchase it. We have a generator and make our own. I want to learn how to make the generators. They are very useful! It is made by boiling distilled water. You them hook 2 silver rods to it and hook up the small generator. 45 minutes later you have Silver!

Another product I would recommend is an ointment. I have not used it on poultry yet but it works good for other things.
There is one called Dr. Christopher's bone and tissue healer. There is an almost identical product made by an Aumish man in Pennsylvania. A local Aumish community here sells it. It is called B and W ointment. B for Burn and W for wound. My friend that recommended it to me used it on her husband once.

Be careful using that. If there is any painkiller in it that is a "caine" product or a number of other "natural" things, it can be fatal to birds. For instance, TriCare Wound Ointment for horses and dogs can kill a chicken.​

Quote:
Be careful using that. If there is any painkiller in it that is a "caine" product or a number of other "natural" things, it can be fatal to birds. For instance, TriCare Wound Ointment for horses and dogs can kill a chicken.

I read through the ingredients. There is nothing like that. Thank you for the tip anyway!

Back
Top Bottom