duck with a cold, what antibiotics can i give her?

nettie

Enslaved by Indoor Ducks
11 Years
Nov 20, 2008
Chicago, IL
it seems my poor duck has a runny nose/cold... and my other duck is recovering from scabs on her feet (i think we caught them in time, and doesn't seem to have pussed or gotten infected). but i'd like to give them some sort of antibiotic to help. They've gotten bayrtil before from their vet when they had bumblefoot/egg biding issues, but you can only get baytril with a rx. I know there are other antibiotics avaiable from feed store or over the internet, but i need a reccomendation on names and doses. any ideas or other info or advice for my ducks?

I don't know what is exactly your duck's problems, but there are only a few antibiotics that are safe for ducks. Bayrill, terramycin and agramycin are pretty much the only ones I've heard are safe for ducks. I try to avoid at all cost unless absolutely necessary. Such as when I had a duck wheezing. I used terramycin and she was fine, but I was guessing as to what her actual problem was. I hope it would be cured with an antibiotic and I guess right. Good luck with your duck. I know I couldn't afford the vet bill, but many may tell you to go to a vet if this is a beloved duck. Keep us posted.

Also if she starts to wheeze at all bring her into a steamy room (this helped with my duck until I could get the antibiotics for her).

the duck with the cold seems to be doing better. Long baths and clean water every couple hours seems to have cleared out the proble. We're still watching her in case it gets worse. My other duck went to the vet and got baytril for her foot problems.

Can you get those other two antibiotics without Rx's?

yes, they are at feed stores. you may have trouble getting terramycin as a year ago I was told they were replacing it with agramycin. Nothing wrong with terramycin, just not making it anymore. Glad your duck with the cold is improving.
thumbsup.gif

Back
Top Bottom