0My new coop build. (lots o' pics)

zeusrekning

In the Brooder
10 Years
Nov 29, 2009
Upstate , SC
I decided to go ahead and build a coop for next spring. The plan is to house 4 hens.
Overall dimensions will be 4' x 4' x 4' tall.

Bought some 2x3's.
IMG_0940.jpg

I started by framing the floor .
IMG_0938.jpg

Cut studs to length for the walls.
IMG_0941.jpg

The daughter inspecting progress.
IMG_0942.jpg

Ok , maybe she is playing chicken,
IMG_0943.jpg

Framed the roof.
I added some 2x4's (the grey pieces) between the rafters. I will secure mesh wire around the roof section for ventilation and theses blocks will allow me somewhere to fasten the mesh while not leaving any large openings for predators.
IMG_0969.jpg

In the following pics you can see the nesting boxes are attached, the framing for the chicken door in place. I also started on a litter box for the bottom that can be slid out from the rear and cleaned.
The roof is hinged so I can open it up and clean since it is not big enough for me to get into.

IMG_0963.jpg

IMG_0964.jpg

IMG_0965.jpg

IMG_0966.jpg

IMG_0967.jpg

IMG_0968.jpg

I'm wondering about roost now. I know they need to be higher than the nesting boxes but not sure how much head room the chickens will need. And do I need some sort of ladder for the chicks to get to the roost and nests?

Tim

If you're planning on 4 chickens, it looks like you've got room for a roost across the top highest point of the peak inside the coop. Most of my birds roosts are only a foot from the ceiling, and the ones that are lower are only lower by 4 inches or so. The highest ones are the most occupied.

Coop looks good!!

Back
Top Bottom