What's the best anti-pick med?

CovenantCreek

Chicks Rule!
12 Years
Oct 19, 2007
Franklin, TN
One of chicks had all her/his tail feathers plucked over night, what's the best thing to put on the bloody area to prevent further damage?

How long should I keep it separated from the rest? I have it separated right now, but it isn't a sufficient solution (the garage is cold) -- I'll need to set up a temporary brooder in the house if the separation needs to last a few days.

Specklehen was going to try pine tar here awhile back after about everything else had failed. I don't know if she ever did or not. I don't remember seeing a post on it, but I might have missed it.

I didn't try the Pine Tar. In certain amts, it is toxic, so you can't overdo it or you risk their health. I just hesitated to get it, although many suggest a thin coating of it to stop picking. The feedstore said they can't seem to get any anti-pick stuff, but if I find some, I will buy it.

I went to the co-op, they didn't have Blu-Kote, but I got something similar, "Blue Solution", as well as something actually in the poultry section called "Black Salve". I'm not going to apply either till I need to reintroduce him to the rest, or bring one in to keep him company. Any opinions about which would be better will be greatly appreciated.

I managed to get what I needed to re-establish a brooder in the house, so at least now he'll be warm at night. One of my dogs seems to be providing him with sufficient company to keep him quiet and get some sleep.

Black Salve is ichthammol. I tried that. They ate it off my rooster. Tough women. Hopefully, yours aren't Robo-Chickens and would hate the taste. They also ate the Bitter Apple/ Coat Saver stuff you spray on dogs. Yuk.

Quote:
Hopefully at 2 weeks old they haven't gotten hard hearted (or headed) yet and will have some mercy when I return the one back to the brooder. I'd like to keep him out as long as possible, but he's getting pretty lonely by himself.
sad.png

I know this is an old post but maybe someone will read this and offer some advise: I am looking for a somewhat cheap product to put on some picked sores on a couple of hens. I see the Rooster Booster Pick No More product works whenever someone mentions it. Would someone know if you put one of the ingredients that's in Rooster Booster PNM if that might work by itself? Here is what's in it:

[FONT=Arial, Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif]Rooster Booster Pick-No-More Lotion controls cannibalism.
Active Ingredients
[/FONT]
Aloe Vera Gel, Calendula (Marigold), Cresylic Acid, Coal Tar Distillate, and Tea Tree Oil.

[FONT=Arial, Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif]I've had her separated for awhile now, not putting anything on it except once put some Vaseline on it and it is really slow to heal. Another hen has a spot, not as big, that someone seems to like as well.[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif]Plus, most of the white hens in our little flock have naked bottoms or backs. I see them pecking and they don't listen to me when I tell them to "quit that". [/FONT]
barnie.gif
They look unhealthy like this, but I know they are getting decent nutrition. So anyone with some advice, please feel free! We've only had them 3 weeks and I'm learning a lot from this site! Thanks to everyone!

Back
Top Bottom