Show Me Your Turkey Runs/coops/enclosures!

snowhorse

Pantry Brook Farm
10 Years
Jun 13, 2009
MA
I am looking to get some turkeys- some for Thanksgiving dinner, others possible for pets.

Midget Whites and Bourbon Reds.

I am totally new to this and want some good pictures on where you keep them.

I was thinking a dog run, lean too type enclosure with a perch.
They will free range mostly, but want to put them in at night.

Is there a good chance I can train them to go in at night!

Okay....rollllll pictures!!!
ya.gif

mine go into to the trees, no coops, roosts or anything special, remember turkeys can fly, the only ones that can't are the broad breasted
19130_100_0219.jpg

they like to brood too, this one kicked a goose off her nest and took over, hatched them to, raised ten poults with the geese never lost one ( midget white hen)
19130_looking_up.jpg

tormenting a hawk here

Last edited:
the only turkeys I've lost is a hen with poults, for some reason she sat in the middle of the yard in the open. all my other hens have had on problems. I've got foxes, coyotes, mink, weasels, coon, possum, owls, hawks, eagles and stray dogs, if my birds go into the trees they are OK, had 16 of them in the pines in a winter storm with -40 wind chills i was expecting turkey popsicles in the morning, but not even frost bite

Quote:
fully feathered and do it slowly unless it warm, turkey poults are a bit fragile when young, it a hen has raised them just keep them out of the rain

52324_new_roof.jpg
I posted this before but maybe you didn't see it.It is 900sq.ft.Fully enclosed with chicken wire on the top around the oak trees.I live in Naples, Florida so there roost is covered for the afternoon rain also from the sun.Hope this helps you...
big_smile.png

Back
Top Bottom