Rules...etc

LinckHillPoultry

Songster
12 Years
Jan 17, 2008
Pennsylvania
Here are some rules and ideas on the categories that everyone has provided.

1.This thread is for fun. It is not a huge competition. For your birds, maybe it could be
2. Don't get upset if your bird doesn't win.
3. Post the breed of your bird & the category it falls under.
4. Post whether your bird is a rooster or hen.
5. Try to just stick to pictures and voting. Comments on birds are welcome, as long as they are friendly.
6. No bragging
7. No bribing
8. Not EVERYONE can be judges at once
9. You can't use pictures that have been pictures of the week.

Tiki gave us:
I will list the Bantams: each breed is judged but in those breeds there is males and females and varietys(colors)

Then there is best of breed

Then the classes are:

Games: that is modern games and old english games

Single Comb Clean Legged: all single comb clean legged breeds

Rose Comb Clean Legged: all rose comb clean legged breeds

All Other Comb Clean Legged: all other combed clean legged breeds

Feather legged: all feather legged breeds

then you pick best in each of these classes and reserve.

then best bantam and reserve.

then they would compete with the standard chicken that won best standard and reserve standard
The standard chickens are a little different;

their classes are

American Class;Rocks,dominiques,wyandottes,javas,RIR,RIW,buckeyes,chantecleres,JG,Lamonas,neww hampshire,hollands,delaware

Asiatic Class:cochin,brahma,langshans

English Class;dorkings,redcaps,cornish,orpingtons,sussex,austrolorps

Mediteranian Class:leghorns,minorcas,spanish,andalusians,anconas,sicilian buttercup,catalanas

Continental Class:continental(north Europe)hamburgs,campines,lakenvelder,barnvelder,welsummers
continental(poland)Polish
continental(French)houdans,faverolles,crevecoeurs,la fleche

All Other Standard Breeds Class: this includes games,oriental, Ameraucana,NN,Frizzles,malays,sumatras,aseels,shamos,yokohamas,phoenix,cubalayas,araucanas
Graceful Bantams gave us:
*Here is a detailed description of how all poultry shows are judged (in America at least), up to the Champion of Show:

Take a Porcelain d'Uccle Bantam Hen for example:
First they judge all the Porcelain d'Uccle Hens together and choose first, second, third, fourth, and fifth place winners (they judge all the Porcelain d'Uccle cocks, pullets, and cockerels the same way).
Second, from those four first place winners they just judged, they pick the BEST OF VARIETY winner. That bird is the best Porcelain colored d'Uccle (they do the same thing for the other color varieties of d'Uccles).
Third, from the winner of each Variety of d'Uccle, they choose the BEST OF BREED (they do that for each breed).

Next, from the Class (a d'Uccle is in the Single Comb Feathered Leg Bantam class, for example), they look at all the Best of Breed winners and select CHAMPION FL Bantam and RESERVE CHAMPION FL Bantam, which is like first and second place for the class.

Then, they judge all the class winners to get CHAMPION BANTAM, and RESERVE CHAMPION BANTAM (they also do this for all the large chickens, waterfowl, turkeys, and pigeons)

Then, from those most recent winners, they select BEST IN SHOW, and RESERVE IN SHOW.

This is all done for both Open Class (where all ages of exhibitors show their birds) and the Junior Show (where only ages 19 and under can enter their birds.)

CaseyRee:
Do you still need the classes of poultry? I can make a list of the classes and what breeds go under each one if youd like? I will just copy it from my Standard of Perfection,...

Edited to say: If needed I would love to be a judge, since I dont have any birds to take pics of and submit. I would love to help judge since I do go to alot of actual shows? Althought it should be noted,.....you can only judge so much of a bird with one pic,....so maybe we should do this:

Since a real judge looks thouroughly over a bird everyone should sudmit at least 6 pics (if possible). Something like this:

Pic 1: Left Side
Pic 2: Right Side
Pic 3: Front view
Pic 4: Back view
Pic 5: Head shot
Pic 6: Feet shot

This insures that every bird can be looked at as closely as possible with only pics. You can see the correct eye color, leg color, comb size and shape, points on the comb, foot feathering, wing carriage, tail carriage and shape, head shape, beak color, etc. Just a thought?

Bantychickmom:
I know absolutely nothing about poultry shows, but from what I'm hearing, I think it will be too complicated and too long of a "show" to have as many categories as there are at a real poultry show.
I would suggest these few things:

1. Have 2 classes...............Standard & Bantam
2. Have a category for each BREED (game, cochin, silkies,
Orpingtons, etc.) Do not have a category for each color
variety of 1 breed, that would be just too many categories
3. Have 3 judges for each category. Judges will pick the best
2 pics of their category and vote for the best of that
breed. With odd # of judges, 1 will win by majority.
4. Also, try to have at least 1 judge of any category that is
experienced, or at least familiar, with that breed.
5. Judges can enter, just not in the category they are
judging. (So if Speckledhen is judging the Plymouth Rock
category she couldn't enter a BR, but could enter in the
Orpington category.
6. Once a winner is selected from each category, have a
"Best of Show" for each class (standard & bantam)
7. Allow 1 month to get all entries in and allow 2 weeks for
judging. Then you have 2 weeks to announce winners
and plan for the next show.
8. Allow judges to change categories If they want for each
show.
These few suggestions will guarantee only 1 entry per chicken and will assure that everyone has a fair chance at winning. It would also guarantee that no judge would even have the chance at voting for their chicken and by allowing them to change categories, they would be allowed to enter pics in each category at some point.

Like I said, do keep in mind that not everyone can be a judge at once. We will rotate through.

Prize ideas:
Calendars
T-shirts
Bumper-stickers

Last edited:
heres some more info on classess for those of you who are not to sure:

Large Breed Classifications

American Class: Plymouth Rocks, Dominique's, Wyandotte's, Javas, Rhode Island Reds, Rhode Island Whites, Buckeyes, Chanteclers, Jersey Giants, Lamonas, New Hampshire's, Hollands and Delawares.
Asiatic Class: Cochins, Langshans, Brahmas

English Class: Dorkings, Redcaps, Cornish, Orpingtons, Sussex, Australorps

Mediterranean Class: Leghorns, Minocras, Spanish, Andalusians, Ancona, Sicilian Buttercups, Catalanas

Continental Class: Hamburgs, Campines, Lakenvelders, Polish, Houdans, Crevecoeurs, La Fleche, Faverolles, Welsummers and Barnevelders

All Other Standard Breeds: Modern Game, Old English Games, Sumatras, Malays, Cubalayas, Phoenix, Yokohamas, Aseels, Shamos, Sultans, Frizzles, Naked Necks, Araucanas, Ameraucanas

Bantams Classifications

Game Class: Modern Game and Old English Game

Single Comb Clean Legged:Anconas, Andalusians, Australorps, Campines, Catalanas, Delawares, Dorkings, Dutch, Frizzles, Hollands, Japanese, Javas, Jersey Giants, Lakenvelders, Lamonas, Leghorns, Minorcas, Naked Necks, New Hampshires, Orpingtons, Phoenix, Plymouth Rocks, Rhode Island Reds, Spanish , Sussex,

Rosecomb Clean Legged:Anconas, Antwerp Belgians {D'anvers} Dominiques, Dorkings, Hamburgs, Leghorns, Minorcas, Redcaps, Rhode Island Reds, Rhode Island Whites, Rosecombs, Sebrights, Wyandottes

All Other Clean Legged: Ameraucana, Araucana, Buckeye, Chanteclers, Cornish, Crevecoeurs, Cubalayas, Houdans, La Fleche, Malays, Polish, Shamos, Sicilian Buttercups, Sumatras, Yokohamas

Feather Legged: Booted, Brahmas, Cochins, d'Uccle Faverolles, Frizzles, Langshans, Silkies, Sultans

Turkeys: all Turkeys compete in one class

Bronze, Narragansett, White Holland, Black, Slate, Bourbon Red, Beltsville Small White,
Royal Palm

Duck Classification
Heavy: Pekin, Aylesbury, Rouen, Muscovy, Appleyard, Saxony
Medium: Cayuga, Crested, Swedish, Buff
Light: Runner, Campbell, Magpie, Welsh Harlequins,
Bantam: Call, East Indies, Mallards

Geese Classification

Heavy: Toulouse, Embden, African
Medium: Sebastopol, Pilgrim, American Buff, Saddleback Pomeranian
Light: Chinese, Tufted Roman, Canada, Egyptian

Back
Top Bottom