Traveling Pet Chicken

prbearcat

In the Brooder
9 Years
May 4, 2010
Northern California
Hi, everyone - I dunno I may be way off base, because I know next to nothing about chickens
idunno.gif
. But I am going to be traveling in a Motorhome very soon & because I am interested in good local food, meaning where ever I am I'll be finding the local Farmers Markets & the best local meats &/or fish - I'm interested in raising a chick
jumpy.gif
, keep it close to me & make it part of the family. Then when I travel have her w/me. My question is could a chicken tolerate this, or maybe a certain breed, especially if I set up a special place for her in the Motorhome that would be her domain and somewhat quiet where she would not be disturbed while traveling. I realize as I read this it sounds very far out, but maybe one of you has known a traveling chicken? Thanks, any suggestions welcome, PRbear
wee.gif

I don't think so. They'll often stop laying for weeks when they go to a new home or even if something in their home changes. Since it would grow up with that life it might not be so bad, but in general chooks hate change and I wouldn't think one would enjoy all the moving around. They also are flock animals and aren't really very happy without another chicken friend.

I would reccomend at least three, because chickens are social creatures, and they need to have other chickens around them. Also, even one chicken will produce copious amounts of "chicken gravy" ( my kids terms for turds or plops) , which may not be very pleasant in a motor home situation. An alternative that you might consider, however, would be those tiny bumble bee quail. But chickens sort of squwack a lot, they need room to roam, and they need dust baths, & they need little chickeny things to do. Just my opinion.
~Red

I agree with redhead83402....too much poo! It would start to smell like a barn inside that mobile home pretty fast.

That's a cute link for the bumblebee quail, but I really think it's discussing button quail. I have a few and they are much cleaner then a chicken. They make a calling noise that sounds like they're laughing. They are very little when hatched (I took a pic last night of 2, week olds sitting in my palm. Probably could have fit 4) they can be very social if handled regularly.

If you really want chickens, get at least 2 and I would get some of the tiniest of the bantams.

I've heard of people who keep Seramas indoors, as well as Silkies. The smaller the chicken, the smaller the poop. You could do it, but it would be a challenge to make life happy for the chicken. They are flock animals, so a lone chicken is likely to be a lonely chicken. And they do so love to run around and scratch in the grass, so you'd have to figure out some way to make this a part of the chicken's life somehow.

If this chicken had its own, familiar coop/pen inside the mobile home, I don't think it would really notice that the scenery outside the window was changing, though.

redhead83402: where can you find Bumblebee Quail? Also do you have to have more than one like you need more than one chicken to be happy? Thanks for any info!

Hello, welcome to BackYard Chickens.

Why do you want to raise a chicken? As pets, my chickens are amusing and friendly because I've raised them since they were 48 hours old but I have no illusions as to their loyalty and affection. I'm a source of food or a quickie back rub to them and they don't reciprocate affectionate feelings. At times it seems as though they do, they follow me around, let me pick them up but, in all reality, they aren't cuddly pet material. (Let the slings and arrows commence.)

If you're thinking of an odd egg or two for healthy eating, that's all you'll get. Like Kittymomma said, chickens don't lay when they're stressed and it doesn't take much to stress a chicken. You would do better to buy some local eggs at a farmer's market and keep them in the fridge. Most towns have someone who will sell free range eggs.

It's also not fair to the bird. Chickens are energetic creatures who do best wandering around their pens or yards being busy-bodies. You could let the chicken out when you stopped the motorhome but you'd have to pen it up to keep it secure because everything eats chickens. You can't take it for a walk and it won't come when you call. And, once again, it will be very stressed by new surroundings. They are also not solo creatures, they need other chickens.

My recommendation is to abandon the chicken as motorhome traveling companion.

Have a great time touring around! It sounds like it will be a great adventure.

Mary

I had a frizzled cochin living in my living room for weeks while I "fixed her and as long as I scooped the poo out of her box everyday there was no stink. She did get very lonely up here by herself tho so I ended up putting her in with some seramas that treat her like gold. If they are small banties like old english game or seramas for their friendly disposition I think you would be just fine. They make chicken diapers you could buy them some and let em run around the RV while you travel. I would definately get more then 1 though. You can harness train them so at pit stops you can take them for walks and dust baths in the dirt. I am kinda crazy like that and If i were in your shoes I'd totally go for it! I used to have a serama rooster who LOVED donuts so everytime I ran up to the local store he'd hop right in the car and go with me. He didn't freak out at all he just calmly laid down on the passenger seat while the car was moving. Once I got out of the car he would perch on the steering wheel anxiously awaiting his donut treat

Last edited:
Quote:
Hi chicken jones ~ actually, it sounds like MuranoFarms knows way more about Button ( or they are sometimes called bumblebee ) Quail than I do. I just really want to own some ~ ;-D (I recently found out there is a guy locally that has some, so we are going to go that route.) As far as whether they need more than one to be happy ~ I think they probably do ~ from everything I have read, it is best to try to get a mated pair ~ they mate for life ~ and go from there. I also understand that while the eggs are small, they are most prolific, so that would be a positive, in my book.

Murano Farms ~ Post a pic, please!!!! I'd love to see them!! Perhaps the cuteness factor might persuade prbearcat to go for quail instead of chickens. ;-D
~Red

How about a Silkie or two? They don't really jump or fly and are pretty docile.

I would worry about when you go out or go to eat, how would she stay cool?

Personally, I hated the Button Quail. They were flighty and they got out of the tiniest holes.

Back
Top Bottom