Chile Relleno Casserole

flowerchild59

Songster
9 Years
Apr 25, 2010
Southern IL
This is one of my favorite recipes. This recipe can be cut in half but I almost always make the full version with a dozen egss.......it reheats well if and when there are any leftovers. If I take it for a potluck it is always gone in a flash. It serves 6-8 easily depending if it is a side dish or a main dish. It is vegetarian and low carb too.
Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

Roast 6 large peppers, ancho/poblano or regular peppers. Add a few jalapenos or serranos if you want to kick it up a notch and make it spicy. Cool and peel and roughly chop.

Separate 12 eggs and beat the whites til nearly stiff. In a separate bowl, beat the yoks til light and lemony in color. Beat in one tsp flour per egg, approx. 3-4 tablespoons. Beat lightly and set aside.

Fold the whites into the yolk mixture and gently mix. Take half of the mix and place in 13x9 greased casserole dish. Layer the peppers evenly over the eggs. Sprinkle pretty heavily with small package if shredded mexican or cheddar type cheese. I like to add chopped cilantro if I have it. I would say 4-6 ounces of cheese or more if you want it real cheesy.

Place the remaining eggs over the cheesy peppers. Bake at 350 degrees about 20 minutes til puffy and very light golden in color. Serve warm or room temperature.

I have made these as "individual" rellenos by using muffin tins. It makes a boatload of those and are a nice appetizer.

Yum! Thanks for posting it!
big_smile.png

Back
Top Bottom