Marble-sized swelling under waddle and feather loss to boot. (Pics)

austradork

In the Brooder
9 Years
Apr 12, 2010
Seattle
I posted a while ago about the mysterious feather loss around the head of my otherwise lovely australorp Harriet. The feather loss is symmetrical on both sides. We've had her examined by a vet and treated the entire flock for lice (even though she tested negative), the condition is still a mystery. For a while it stabilized and the feather loss neither improved nor worsened. A daily aloe vera application seems to help immensely with the scratching, but if we miss a day, she starts scratching like crazy. Well, this weekend, my boyfriend and I were out of town so she missed three aloe vera applications. And when we returned, we saw that in those three days, she lost a LOT more feathers and now has a marble-sized swelling under her waddle, kind of in her upper neck area. You can only KIND OF see it in the first picture, but I can definitely feel it. I'm almost positive the swelling was caused by scratching. I guess I'm just posting to try one more time to get ideas on what could be causing the scratching. We have no rooster, she's not picked on by her flock mates, and she lays, eats, and poops regularly. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated. Maybe she just has egg-zema?!

Christina

53984_bald_lump.jpg

53984_bald1.jpg

53984_bald_overview.jpg

Back
Top Bottom