What is wrong with hen has boils on breast

cforeman

In the Brooder
9 Years
Feb 26, 2010
I have a one year old hen who has quit walking for about 5 days and is laying on the bottom of the coop at night. She may take 3 to 10 steps if I offer her grapes. I am force feeding her. She now has 3 sores on her breast. Does anyone know what it is or what I can do?

If she can not walk it could be a pressure sore from her always laying in one spot.

Are her feathers fluffed up? She could be egg bond. Egg bound chickens don't walk around alot.. They can get sick really fast...

I separated her into her own small coop/run. She is still eating and drinking. She doesn't appear broody or egg bound. She hasn't laid an egg for two weeks because it has been so hot. I have been giving her watermelon, grapes and lots of water and oatmeal along with her feed. She likes all of that so she is eating well. I thought she might be stopped up. I washed under her tail to remove hard droppings on feathers. So when I get home from work I'll check if she has excreted. The blisters looked dried up and smaller this morning. I thought if she was laying under the coop all week while I was away it may be a sore from laying so much.

Back
Top Bottom