Sexlink Thread- Pictures and Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

PepsNick

Back to Business
9 Years
May 9, 2010
Egglanta, GA
Well, I saw there was a thread of Sex-linked info, but not for the actual Sexlinks. Thought I'd start one. I had a BSL a while go. I am not that appealed to them anymore. I only hold true breeds, not hatchery. But I have met some great people from the time I started this, so thought they could keep a discussion going. These birds ARE great layers, but I do not want the risk of being egg bound, internal laying, etc.

This is just for discussing the birds, genetics, photos, emergencies, and projects.

Last edited:
There are a couple sexlink threads I think, but I dont think there have been any acutually declared as a Sexlink Thread and there isnt one in the Breed Discussion sticky, so lets start this one and see if we can get it included in the sticky.

Here is a part that I copied and pasted from one of my previous posts to a thread of someone asking what sexlinks were. So it will also give a little info on what they are and how to make them incase someone else doesnt know

Here are some examples of my verisions of sexlinks that I bred.

Lets start with my Red Sexlinks. For this you have to breed a rooster that is pure for the gold genes ( Red, Buff, Partridge, ect...) with a hen with Silver genes( any hen with Silver in the name ( Silver laced Wyandotte, Silver penciled Rocks, ect.. Any Light Columbain colored hens ( Light Sussex, Columbian Wyandottes, or hens like Rhode Island Whites which are known to have the silver genes. This makes gold hens and roosters that are split for both gold and silver genes. The pullets are generally red and the cockerels are generally white, though it can vary depending on the cross.

For mine I chose to use a Speckled Sussex rooster on my RIWhite hens.

Father
37373_110_5776.jpg

Mothers
37373_100_5673.jpg

Chicks pullet on the left, roo on the right
37373_sl_chicks_2.jpg

37373_sl_chicks.jpg

older pullet
37373_sl_pullet.jpg

older cockerel
37373_sl_roo.jpg

OK now for Black Sexlinks. For this you have to have barred/cuckoo hens of any breed. With a rooster of any breed or color as long as he is NOT BARRED, NOT DOMINANT WHITE, and NOT RECESSIVE WHITE MASKING BARRING. All other colors/patterns will work. This makes none barred females and barred males.

For mine I used a Buff Orp roo on Barred rock hens and got

pullets
37373_chicks_044.jpg

cockerels
37373_chicks_050.jpg

37373_100_4367.jpg

37373_100_4370.jpg

37373_100_5227.jpg

37373_100_5224.jpg

Edit to add.

Here is another Sexlink pullet that I have hatched. She is from a Buff Orp roo on a SLW hen.
37373_sexlink.jpg

Last edited:
awww, sexlinks sound awesome! Ideal has info about sexlinks, they have black SL, brown SL, gold SL, and red SL, in the info about them it says what breeds they use to make what SL, its pretty interesting, ive only ever heard of black and red SLs, i am also still confused about SLs and even more so now that i read this and found out you dont just need those breeds that Ideal says to make SLs... lol
hmm.png
anywho, here's the link to the SL page on Ideals website, you just have to click on each variety to read the info, i just hit pullets but im sure the info is probably the same no matter what you click but anyways this is the link: https://secuservices.com/ideal/newideal/Products.aspx?Category=Sex Links

Last edited:
sorry the Links after the address is supposed to be part of that so the link doesnt take you to the right page, but you can just scroll down and hit sexlinks from that page or oyu can just copy and paste that whole address into the address bar, not that much extra work but still, sorry about the link, i didnt realize it would do that...
hmm.png

lol.... what time do sexlinks start laying? mine is either 15 or 16 weeks. What age do you think she is???

56934_hehehe.jpg

56934_lalala.jpg

56934_peps3.jpg

I have four sexlinks out of 18 chickens. They are the friendliest, most curious , most wonderful creatures! Always the first when I call, they come running and let me pick them up and pet them. Love my silkies, but love my sexlinks also. ... we call them our Deacons, for Wake forest---(black and gold).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom