Uh Oh, I think Roxanne is egg bound!! Photos

rebbetzin

Crowing
15 Years
Apr 4, 2008
Tucson AZ
Yeterday, I noticed she was swollen in the rear end. This morning, I soaked her in warm water for over an hour and a half. I massaged her underside a bit. I don't feel an egg in there. She is not quite two years old. A wonderful chicken, good tempered.

Here she is in the bucket.
8310RoxanneinBucket02email.jpg

We watched some TV. Cooking shows, thankfully no one was cooking up any Chicken! At one point she rested her head on my hand. I didn't get a photo of her doing that, I didn't want to move. It was a sweet moment.

She even fell asleep for a while.
8310RoxannesleepinginBucketemail01.jpg

Then I took her out of the water. Now be prepared these are not very pretty photos of a Chicken Bottom! All her nice fluffy feathers are soaking wet.

8310BacksideRoxanne02email.jpg

From the side.

8310BacksideRoxanne01email.jpg

I am feeling quite hopeless.

Will she die? Seems from what I have read up here, they don't do real well after being egg bound.

She is out in the tractor alone now, I am letting her get dry before putting her back with the others. She is acting normally. Pecking, drinking, pooping.

Last edited:
take what im about to say with a grain of salt. To me it looks like her vent is small and puckered. I had a rescue hen that i thought was egg bound, her vent looked like that.. and was yellow. I didnt have a large protruding area like yours..

anyways, i separated her and tried everything.. she did eat a little buit mostlly stayed hunched and closed her eyes. She lost weight and died in a week. I even called a vet and they didnt want to see her
sad.png

Anyways, i hope thats not the case for her--- i hope someone can come along with some wisdom

Well, if you've felt inside a chicken vent before, you'd know peritonitis, in which case I haven't heard any success stories. I suppose she could have some digestional irritation that's making her intestines inflammed, in which case some here recommend feeding her yogurt. It may be an issue for antibiotics then too. I don't know but it seems worms or parasites could make her swell like that. I'm not sure I'd do anything too drastic at this point if she is eating good and active. Keep bumping for some more feedback. Some sort of broad spectrum antibiotic probably wouldn't hurt.

your poor little lady, I hope she is doing alright. This may sound weird, as we always want our birds to be healthy all the time. But it just isn't that way. When they are down, even though hard and stressful, it is fiiled with equally beautiful moments like the ones you mentioned. Pamper that little lady, I hope she pulls through.
hugs.gif

Quote:
She is "normal"... comb is nice and red, seems happy. I will soak her again later. It is a mystery to me... got three eggs this morning... I assume, from the other girls. I am praying she will overcome whatever this is.

I felt inside her vent yesterday and didn't feel anything. Got some poop on my finger!! I don't feel anything hard inside her.

Back
Top Bottom