My white leghorn is laying non-white eggs

Cheep

Songster
9 Years
Jul 17, 2010
Sebastopol, CA
Daisy herself is very white & everyone I have shown the eggs to, can not tell if they are white, or very light brown.

The egg I just collected I know she laid, & is definitely light brown. I know it is hers, because I heard someone doing the egg song, & rushed out to check the next box. The egg was still warm.
This is the 1st egg from her; it was basically white with bright yellow streaks, like a badly dyed easter egg. I thought it was yolk, but no, it was not even cracked.

63357_sunnydaisylabeled.jpg

She sure looks like pure leghorn, to me, FWIW. But the eggs are really not white.

Last edited:
some time my leghorn lay light brown eggs to and the next day it is more whiter.one of my leghorn are starting to lay large egg every third day. they start to lay mid july
smile.png

Her ears are (believe it or not) green. I took a photo, which doesn't show very well, but they ARE green
idunno.gif

Last edited:
I would bet they are White Plymouth Rock (White Rocks) hens. Check out the short comb on the hen in the foreground. White Leghorns have long floppy combs and their earlobes are white. Also the hen in the foreground looks to be too big (bulky) to be a Leghorn. Ok...OP posted pic after I typed this. The hen has off white earlobe...short comb indicates it could be mixed with a White Rock. White Rocks lay brown eggs, if she's mixed with a Leghorn....then you should have lighter colored eggs.

Last edited:
Quote:
OMG! my leghorn has those green ears too. these are my first chickens so i didn't think much about it until now. I don't even know for sure that she is a leghorn, she came in mixed up with my meat kings and we thought it was a runt until it was obviously something else. But definitely exactly like the lime green you describe.

They will be 22 weeks on Aug 24, so when the dual photo was taken, they were ~19 weeks. Maybe their combs will flop over as they mature?

Back
Top Bottom