How should I worm all my chickens?

joebryant

Crowing
11 Years
Apr 28, 2008
SW of Greenwood, INDIANA
I haven't seen any worms, but I want to treat my chickens for them anyway because I don't really know what to look for.

What is the easiest way to do it to be sure that I get rid of the most common types of worms? Is there a product that I can just add to their water for a couple of days?

Worms are like the germs that cause the common cold virus, chances are if you're living you have regular contact with them. Now, pretend you don't know the symptoms of a common cold, would you take cold medicine just because chances are you've had contact with the virus and don't know what symptoms indicate the actual illness?

Are your chickens acting lethargic....not eating or drinking,not laying? These are common signs of possible worms. If your chickens are over 1 year old, never been wormed and free range...I agree they should be wormed. First worming, I would start with wazine17. Just follow the directions on the label. Toss eggs in the garbage for 2 weeks. Then in 10 days, reworm with a different wormer.

BIG THANKS, dawg53, that's exactly what I was looking for. It can't get much simpler than what the directions say that I found when Googling:
ETA You said, "...Then in 10 days, reworm with a different wormer." What do you recommend that I should use after ten days?

http://www.drugs.com/vet/wazine-17.html
"For
best results, remove water in the evening (except during hot weather). Then, early the next morning, begin water medicated with Wazine-17. Provide medicated water only, distributed in waterers sufficient in number so that all birds or animals have access to water. The medicated water should be consumed in 1 day or less. Worming every 30 days is necessary to break the large roundworm life cycle.

TURKEYS - Under 12 weeks of age: for each 100 birds, use 2 fluid ounces (60 ml) of Wazine-17 in 2 U.S. gallons (7.6 liters) of drinking water.

Over 12 weeks of age: for each 100 birds, use 4 fluid ounces (120 ml) of Wazine-17 in 4 U.S. gallons (15 liters) of drinking water.

Worm turkeys at 4-6 weeks of age and thereafter at 30 days, or as needed.

CHICKENS - 4 to 6 weeks of age: for each 100 birds, use 1 fluid ounce (30 ml) of Wazine-17 in 1 U.S. gallon (3.8 liters) of drinking water.

Over 6 weeks of age: for each 100 birds, use 2 fluid ounces (60 ml) of Wazine-17 in 2 U.S. gallons (7.6 liters) of drinking water.

Treat broilers at 4 weeks of age and thereafter at 30 days, or as needed. Treat replacement pullets at 8, 12, and 16 weeks of age."

Last edited:
On the 10th day after using wazine. I recommend a second type of wormer...you have the choice of the following: Ivermectin, Safeguard or Valbazen. All are off label wormers for horses,cattle or sheep, but can be given to chickens in smaller quantity, it's a matter of giving the correct dosage. I prefer Valbazen...it'll kill just about every kind of worm there is, including tapeworms. The other wormers are excellent wormers too, but wont kill tapeworms. You can read up on these wormers and choose which one you want to use and I'll give you the dosage for chickens.

Quote:
I'll use Valbazen since that's your preference. I have a dozen bbs Orpintons and six silkies. What dosage would they need, and does TSC sell it? THANKS AGAIN

ETA If Valbazen will also kill tapeworm, is it necessary to use the Wazine first?

Last edited:
PM from Dawg53 (I thought maybe someone else was waiting for the answer, so I'm copying/pasting here with Dawg53's permission.)

Hi Joe. Since you're worming for the 1st time, use the wazine first. The wazine gets rid of large roundworms only. If you used a different wormer like valbazen first, it would kill all types of worms and the buildup could cause a blockage of dead worms and become toxic and kill your chickens. Roundworms are the most common worm in chickens and once they are expelled by the wazine, it'll leave room for other types of worms including roundworm larva to be expelled with no toxicity. When using the wazine dont forget to toss the eggs in the garbage. Wormers are poisons and you dont want to eat the eggs nor give the eggs back to your chickens, you would be extending the withdrawal period if you did. The same is true for valbazen and the other wormers I told you about. So, you are looking at another 2 weeks of tossing eggs in the garbage after using valbazen. I recommend writing it on a calender which day you wormed then count out the days to when the eggs will be safe to eat....that's what I do,easier for me to keep track lol. Valbazen can be ordered online or you can call them at jeffers livestock. You can see their website online,it's a cattle and sheep wormer and comes in 500ml liquid in a bottle. I think it's about $35 a bottle. I dont know if TSC carries it. Ten days after the wazine, give the valbazen orally. Dosage is one half cc/ml for standard size chickens, one quarter cc/ml for smaller chickens including silkies. You can use a syringe to squirt it down their throats individually or you can inject it into a small piece of bread and give each chicken a piece of bread....they gobble it up. I recommend that after a couple of days of using both wormers....give your chickens plain yogurt or buttermilk(probiotics), canned beef catfood (extra protein), all mixed in their feed and give it to them to build up their immune systems, do this about 3 days in a row. Then you'll have healthy, happy chickens lol. The next time you worm,say in about 6 months or whenever you see fit...you can use the valbazen first, no need to use the wazine unless you want to. Please PM anytime and I'll be happy to help you with worming. Jim.

Glad now that I hadn't begun treating them yet, but I was planning to this week.
My rooster was very ill this weekend. I took him to the vet this morning and requested that they to do a complete physical with all tests. He's going to be there for a couple of days. The vet called and said that he did not have worms of any kind and that probably none of my other chickens do since he doesn't. Glad now that I hadn't treated them yet.

ETA She did say though that I will have to treat all my chickens for respiratory infection since my rooster has it. She told me a medicine to buy from TSC to put in their water, but I didn't write it down; we were talking on the telephone. I'll get all the information when my rooster's well enough for me to pick him up and bring him home.

Last edited:
Thanks for the great info! I wrote it down for later if needed!

smile.png

Back
Top Bottom