When did he die? ** GRAPHIC PHOTOGRAPH **

from my experents with budgies and finches and some other birds he llok like 15-17 but i dont know about chickens he dose look like he almost made it, sorry for your loss

oh my god. if she's veiny, dont do anymore. she's not ready! put a warm damp (but not sopping wet, or the blood won't go away) cloth on her and around the membrane and make sure it stays warm until the blood is all absorbed or she might bleed to death! good luck!
fl.gif

edited to say it might be best to wait a few days more to help her out, unless she really looks ready.

also, that baby definitely looked like he was close. what is your temp? if on day 25, i would assume your temp is low. its heart wrenching to lose chicks... they're so sweet. but they quit for many reasons.

Last edited:
I'm going to guess around day 19 also. Seems to have a lot of fluid still. What was your humidity for the incubation? I'm assuming by 70 you mean for lockdown.

Better yet, what was your temp? Are you sure its day 25?

Last edited:
Based on the external yolk sack, I'm going to say day 18-19. Are you sure you counted your days right? Are you sure that your thermometer is accurate? You said 'there was life yesterday'- how do you know this? It clearly didn't pip internally, which means it almost definitely didn't make it past day 19 as that is the point where their lungs begin to function and they need to pip the membrane or drown.

If you counted your days right, I would bet that your thermometer is inaccurate and reading higher than your temps actually are. This would result in 2 things- a slower development and increased moisture in the egg (even with proper humidity). You said the humidity was 70%, and I am assuming you mean during lockdown. What was it through incubation and are you sure your hygrometer is accurate?

If you think there is a possibility you miscounted days (in this case, added a week of time to your memory in which case this bird is spot on for day 18-19 death day-wise.... I know I would get dates wrong if I didn't write them on my calendar) then your conditions are probably correct and your equipment is probably functioning as it should.

Back
Top Bottom