Mites won't die, all over my house now - new question #55=grain mites?

superchemicalgirl

HEN PECKED
11 Years
Jan 10, 2010
Vacationland, Maine
You can see my previous post if you'd like for background...
https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=398241

But basically I've got a ton of red mites in my basement from swap chickens. Now they're upstairs! I didn't get a chance to burn the rest of the original brooder box (thanks to work and on call) but I spread Sevin Dust all over it and the floor, box and the 3 chickens in my basement that same day. I had previously used permethrin and used some that day as well. The kids are in a new cardboard brooder about 10 feet from the old one and so far, I can't see visible mites on their new box or on them. However...

The mites won't die. I came home to this:
46869_tons_of_mites.jpg

No, that's not water. That's mites. Look close (and yes, I had spread Sevin dust all over, it's like they ate it):
46869_close_up.jpg

And now, they're upstairs. I don't have chickens upstairs. They're in my meal worm bins upstairs and my Shipyard beer just happened to be sitting next to the meal worm bin and the mites are all over it and the floor surrounding it. Very easy to see.
46869_beer_mites.jpg

The Sevin didn't kill them. The permethrin didn't. The oral dose of ivermectin/praziquantel I gave to the kids 3 weeks ago didn't kill them. What gives?! HELP ME PLEASE!!!!!!

Last edited:
I would just move out of that house!..
barnie.gif

If you dont wanna do that.. get an exterminator... OR a REAL strong bug killer... the REAL deal stuff!!.. not that stupid DE crud that dosent work... (as you can see from the pics..)
**scratch scratch!!**

Try getting one of the flea bombs, set off several in different areas of your house. Taking all animals out, of course. Following directions on the cans. For the birds themselves, get Adam's flea Shampoo for washing your birds. Fill a bucket with water & shampoo, dip birds in, holding them under the water, leaving their heads out, for a few minutes. Finish washing the birds and let them dry. Do this the same time as you bomb the house. Thus killing all creepy crawlers at the same time. This is the same thing you would do if your house had fleas from a dog or cat. Good luck!

It's Friday night. All I can do is leave messages for the pros (I have). Not to mention I'm working and on call all weekend - won't be free until Monday PM. The mites will take over by then.

Any suggestions in the mean time?

And the indignity of it all - they even messed with my beer.

I would go to the feed store and get a spray can for poultry houses/cattle/horse ect--- they are pyrethrin usually, but concentrated & in a penetrating spray. Works better than powder to penetrate cracks where the red mite is breeding and living. Repeat every 2 weeks until no more mites. Clean what you can, throw away/burn what you cannot- to speed the process. Things that can be laundered in hot water and bleach- do so. Red mites don't live on the animal, they live in cracks and creases- so you need to get the pesticides into these places. Or call the exterminator.....

Back
Top Bottom