Underwear makes a great sling! UPDATED with Pics added

Kharmel

In the Brooder
9 Years
May 24, 2010
I posted yesterday about my RIR, Ruby with the broken leg. After seeing her laying on her side all of the time, I decided to rig a sling for her.

After cutting up a couple of t-shirts and not liking the results, I was thinking what else I could use. Then it hit me, underwear
big_smile.png
The crotch part is the perfect shape and size to support the chest and belly and the leg holes have lots of room for the legs and wings. I only had to modify the back by cutting a hole in the butt part of the underwear for her tail and cut away the elastic at the neck so she had more freedom of her head and neck. Then suspend by the top of the leg holes and hang from the top of the rabbit cage she's being kept in.

It works perfectly and the only time she's not panting is when she's in the sling. Maybe others have already come up with this idea but I thought it was pretty ingenious and thought I'd pass it on:)

Bless her heart, I let her out yesterday in the yard so she could peck around and mingle with her buddies while supervised. She made a hopping beeline for the coop so I locked her in there alone for awhile and came back to take her inside about an hour later and she had layed an egg! I wasn't expecting that because of all the trauma she's gone through.

58484_ruby3.jpg

58484_ruby2.jpg

The underwear will stretch so to compensate, if in a wire cage, you can keep pulling it further through the top. I secure the leg holes to the top of the cage with 6 inch bungie cords.

Last edited:
I'll take a picture tonight when I get home and post it tomorrow morning. I don't have internet at home.
smile.png

I was thinking of a sling like you use to throw rocks. Couldn't figure out quite how it would work.

Great idea! I can't wait to see a picture. Way to go, Ruby, for laying an egg. Quite a lady, she is.

Back
Top Bottom