Chickens stopped laying

mrl9956

Hatching
9 Years
Nov 20, 2010
We have 6 Wyandottes and 2 Araucanas that we got last year. They have been laying just fine until this past fall. They started to moult and then they stopped laying about 6 weeks ago and have not produced any eggs since. We even locked them in the coup and placed a few eggs there but they did not lay. We thought they might be laying somewhere else on the property but there does not seem to be any around. Why did they stop laying? Is there anything we can do? We are in northern Wisconsin. Thanks

Welcome to BYC!!

The reason they stop laying is they need the protein to go into new feather growth rather than egg production. Their system also needs a rest at this time. Feeding more protein helps with both things.

My two wyandottes and two EE's have not laid for 8 weeks. They started molting 8 weeks ago-losing their feathers at an astonishing rate. Most of their feathers are now back in, and the SLW has just this week begun to squat for me again. I'm hoping this, and the fact that her comb is getting a tiny bit darker again is a sign she is close to laying again. All of their combs were so pale during the worst of the molt, they looked anemic.
I have fed them more protein, with boss (black oil sunflower seeds), and other protein treats they like (yogurt-cottage cheese- etc) to help with feather growth and the stress of the molt.

From what I have read, the molt can last for up to three months, and some hens don't lay the entire time
sad.png

Here's to hoping
fl.gif
fl.gif
fl.gif
for your hens and mine- to be done with their "vacations" and get back to it!
big_smile.png
big_smile.png
big_smile.png

Last edited:
I'm glad you posted this. Mine have done the same thing - mild molt but egg laying has all but stopped (only my BO has never stopped! sweet little thing!) I'm going to try upping the protein even more...

I might have overlooked any statement about the need to give them light and I'm sure you already know that. I waited too long and mine stopped in September but they resumed two weeks ago after I started lighting the coop for 14 hours or so. Five eggs yesterday, three so far today. It's 30 above in the middle of Alaska so I used the warm weather as time to clean out the coop. Tossed 100+ lbs of shavings out so far.

Back
Top Bottom