Ages & tendering time...

secuono

Crowing
13 Years
May 29, 2010
Virginia
Ok, so how long should the following aged Roosters be left in the fridge to tender for?
You kill it, hang and bleed it. How long do you leave them hanging to let out for?
Then you pluck or skin it. Where is the ice water? Is that just with rabbit meat after skinning or can you do it with chickens/needed for them too?
Take out guts and other things you don't want, cut to fit into bags and place in fridge.
After tendering, eat or freeze.

Do I have the steps correct?

Thanks!

4 Months
6 Months
8 Months
10 Months
1+ Year?

Yeah, that's about right. The only change I suggest is you gut them before they go in the cooling water. I wouldn't do the processing any different for the different aged birds... but I would cook them differently. (younger ones on the bbq, older ones braised in the dutch oven or crockpot.)

here are my minor modifications to your list of steps:

1. bleed 'em until they stop bleeding (couple of minutes)
2. pluck or skin
3. eviscerate
4. put them in the cooling basin
5. after a while, shake the water off, put them in a big covered bowl in the fridge for four (+/-) days
6. eat or freeze.

Thanks!

But still need;
Following aged Roosters be left in the fridge to tender for?
4 Months
6 Months
8 Months
10 Months
1+ Year?

As in, 4 months only need 3 days or 8mo. need 5 days in fridge, etc. I have no idea how many days they need to be in there for different ages. Also, what month is too old to be able to sit in fridge and needs a crockpot or roasting. What age for pot, what age for roasting?
Thanks!!

Ok, so how long should the following 3-5 days
You kill it, hang and bleed it. Til they quit moving. I usually hang, cut the throat, and let them bleed/die. Once all the muscle twitches stop, down them come.
Then you pluck or skin it. I scald with hot (150 degree) water, then pluck.
Take out guts and other things you don't want, cut to fit into bags and place in fridge. I usually don't cut them up, I prefer to cut up before cooking
smile.png

After tendering, eat or freeze.

4 Months - 3 days or so
6 Months - 3-4 days
8 Months - 3-4 days
10 Months - 3-4 days
1+ Years - 5 days

I've processed a year and a half roo, followed 5 days in the fridge and the slow roasted. I've yet to meet a bird (or any critter) that can't be roasted (or smoked
wink.png
at about 200 degrees until done.
smile.png
I don't fry a lot of chicken (hot fast cooking), but I'll put anything in the oven for a couple hours, or in the smoker/grill for a long time.

If I'm looking for stock, don't boil, just simmer. Let it go for a few hours. Meat will fall off and shred like a dream for everything else (I shred and freeze in 1-2lb bags).

Thanks!
We usually fry, that's why I need to know the length of days to tender them...lol. I'd love to cook them in other ways, but I need to save for a pot and all.
smile.png

Quote:
I have worked for several poultry processors and after plucking they were placed in ICE WATER BATH to bring down their body temp. Then we gut them and then back into a clean ICE WATER BATH until they could be packaged and place in the freezer. Leaving them in the refrigerator to thaw is plenty of time for any aging.

foux

Last edited:
No, you will be fine. You can always let them rest in the fridge for a couple of days once you take them out of the freezer to thaw. Some people don't rest the birds at all. Most of us do it because it improves the texture.

Back
Top Bottom