The Beagle thread: For all the beagle lovers

bossynbella

Songster
12 Years
Aug 11, 2007
Iowa
I hope all you beagle owners will post stories and pictures of your dogs on here as well. Love to see those Beagles and Beagle mixes.

Hello! Some of you know me and my Beagle, Annie. I wanted to start a thread to update as she progresses through her pregnancy. See post https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=479988 which explains more about our decision to breed her, and what has happened up till now. Also we are working on a new diet for Annie, as the vet advised perhaps making our own dog food, or supplementing her dry with thing such as eggs, grease etc. , we considered going with the raw diet, but changed our mind, as she refuses raw foods. Will not even eat a cut up piece of chicken or even steak, offered her a whole chicken hindquarter 6 to 7 times Sunday and she refused to eat it. Yesterday morning I threw it in the microwave for 2 minutes, it was still "raw" inside, but warm and "cooked" on the outside. She ate it in a few minutes, again today I did the same, it took her a bit longer, but she did eat it. So our plan at the moment is the Iams mini chunks dry available at all times, and alternating days, either a hindquarter of chicken or egg mixed with a half a cup of dog food. We will be closely motoring her weight and will adjust accordingly. I plan to post a weight and stomach measurement every week as well as a picture of her.

Here are some Beagle pictures to get us started!

"My" first beagles Mighty on the right and Brady on the left, though Mighty was actually my roommates dog.
3524_mighty_and_brady_jan_2002_5.jpg

Annie on her first night home- 8 weeks old
3524_anniefirstnighthome.jpg

12 weeks old
3524_babyannieinherbasket.jpg

1 year old
3524_annieandandysnuggling.jpg

Last October
3524_annieinthefall.jpg

2 years old with our Black Lab Apollo
3524_apolloandannie.jpg

Three days ago-
3524_annie.jpg

Brutus (My father in laws dog, the father to Annie's puppies)
2 years old with my mother in law's dog Maxi
3524_maxieandbrutus.jpg

3 years old ( 2 days ago)
3524_brutusbegs.jpg

3524_brutus.jpg

I look forward to reading about and seeing pictures of all your beagles!

Hmm. I don't have a full beagle, but I've got a beagle mix.

He was roaming a hunting club, and following people to their stands.

He was going to be shot, but my dad wasn't going to let that happen
smile.png

He brought him home, and he's been porbably the best dog we've ever

had. He was well trained, whoever trained him. He was already potty

trained, and is an exellent family dog. The only problem I HATE is that

it is really hard to keep him HOME in our yard. He likes to roam, which

is not good being we live infront of a major highway.A stray that stayed

with us got ran over on that very highway 2 years ago. We can't afford a

fence, so we normally have to tie him out to go potty, because he doesn't

like people standing close and looking at him while he's doing his business
tongue.png

His name is Bandit, and he's now about 5-6 years old.

Here he is with my little brother
smile.png

74081_scary_056.jpg

Last edited:
Yey! I've been waiting for Annies new topic so I can send those puppy thoughts her way!
Squishy sends puppy thoughts

The other thing is.. when you give Annie cooked meat in the future.. just make sure it has no bones in it. Raw bones are fine. But cooking bones, of any kind, especially chicken... changes the structure of the bones, causing them to splinter. She could choke on a splinter or it could puncture her internally.

I once had a mixed beagle shelter rescue. She was a "lemon" beagle, which I had never heard of before. I adored her dearly, but I'm never going hound again - I have better things to do than tromp endlessly through the woods following a wayward beagle nose!
wink.png
Oh, could that dog put on the miles!
If you want to lose weight and get lots of exercise, get a beagle!
wee.gif

I dont have a beagle, but I do feed one. He lives in our barn, runs critters at night in the pasture, and shows up at my dogs meal times.I feel like I have to feed him because he does a good job keeping those night critters running and away from my chickens. He showed up about a year and a half ago, he is neutered and appears to be young. He is also good with the kids and really wanted to come in our house. I feel bad sometimes because I think someone is out there looking for him and I cant seem to find them. I did get the large animal vet to give him shots.He is really a good dog.

I love beagles always have. I was blessed with a beagle basset the week be fore Christmas 2009 she was a rescue -- here is Bessy -- she is a bagel

35132_100_3259.jpg

35132_100_3247.jpg

35132_100_3264.jpg

Those dogs are adorable,
ScissorChick your dog looks a lot like my beagle/ terrier/ whippet (Buster Brown) I had growing up. He was an awesome dog and you could teach him anything except not to run away! He was an escape artist and when he got loose we would spend hours trying to catch him again.
herefordlovinglady I love the beagle basset crosses, Bagles are so cute! They seem to get the best of both breeds on looks. Does she run away like a beagle when they get loose?

Over the night Annie ate her half cup of Iams dog food, although I had her out at 1:30am, and got up to let her out at 8:30 this morning, she had peed on the floor. This is unusual, she will occasionally have an accident, like maybe once a night, but usually she barks to let us know she wants out, I wonder though if because the weather turned cold, she didn't do her business when she went out last night, and wasn't wanting to have to go out to do it either. For breakfast she had a chicken leg, I am slowly warming it less and less. Today it was 30 seconds, just enough to get the skin warm but the meat and bone underneath was cold and raw, she nibbled at it for a while then ate it.

I will be doing weight and stomach measurements every Sunday. Starting on the 17th. I hope to take a picture of her in the same spot ever week too. 9 weeks is such a long time to wait! I can't imagine how people make it 9 months!

Keep the pictures and stories coming! Love seeing and hearing about those beagles

Hi! I THINK I'm a Beagle Mom. We got this little guy yesterday. He is supposed to be an Aussie cattle mix but I think he is more Beagle. He is very sweet we all love him. Any opinions on if he is a mixed Beagle is welcome. BTW everybodies Beagle picks look great!
smile.png

79733_100_1842.jpg
[/img]

79733_100_1837.jpg

79733_100_1836.jpg

I have a beagle/gsd mix (with some other stuff thrown in for good measure). He is the best dog we have ever had and wish that we could get more like him. He loves to go mushing... no idea what genetics that comes from!

9311_dscn0928.jpg

Back
Top Bottom