Rooster Keeps Attacking me!

JustDuckyTexas

Hatching
11 Years
Apr 24, 2008
Is there a way to stop a rooster from attacking me? He jumps up and smashes his feet into my legs. It leaves huge bruises. If I had shorts on, it would gash my skin. He is a Polish Crested. Someone said to kick him and he'll stop. Ohhh, that made him worse! He found a sparring partner, he was happy! So I stopped, and now I just stand there and tell hin "NO!" But he sneaks up behind me....... We have a B&B, so I can't have him attacking the guests. If I don't find a solution, he is going to the Feed Store on Saturday to find a new home.
Do they all do this? I have 9 baby chicks right now, so I assume I'll have about 5 roosters out of that.

My Roo is gentle as can be. The only time he sneaks up behind me is when he thinks I have treats.

Maybe if you try treats and maybe he will see you are nice too. I dont really know other than that. I wouldn't want him attacking the guests either.

I heard mean Roos make great soup.......

Last edited:
Some roosters are aggressive. I had a silver laced polish roo. He was mean to the hens. he never flogged any of us but the potential was there because he always would sneak around behind you when you went in the barn. The 3 females I had for him were mean too. They waited for you to come in and they attacked your feet with machine gun like pecks then ran off to hide under the nest boxes and roosts.

I got rid of the lot of them. I hate those boppy headed little creatures. No more of those flighty, pecky, sneaky chickens for me. We only got them because my husband thought they looked so cool. The behavior wore thin with him too. We rehomed them to a nice family who I hope is getting those lovely white eggs they were laying.

LOL @ sparring partner. I know it's not funny but I couldn't help but laugh. I have a similar problem with a couple of roos attacking me and they are BOLD. Mine bite !!! Can't wait to read the responses about what to do.

I had a mean rooster like that and I tried everything and gave him chance after chance to no avail. Needless to say I had to get rid of him, he was not only nasty to us but to the hens too. I noticed within a few days of him not being here we were all much happier including the hens and they started laying more eggs once he was gone. I think those kinds of roosters can be high stress on everyone because they are sneaky and can do damage. Just not worth it in my book.

I've read one of the best things to do is to grab him by his feet and carry him around, either right side up or upside down(I choose depending on how mad they've made me). Do it everytime you get the chance, it might not break the habit completely but it will slow it down.

Make sure to trim your rooster's spurs if he has them.

Although, in your case with the B&B, I would take him back to the feedstore or keep him penned up where he cannot get to guests at all. Having an aggressive rooster would be very bad for business, especially one that is leave marks and bruises.

If you replace him or end up with another rooster, I would keep the rooster penned while you have guests, just as a safety measure. Chickens respond differently to different people, you do not want your new kinder rooster taking a sudden disliking to a guest and land you, the owners, in hot water. It really think the best thing in your case is to own only hens, or to keep the rooster penned in the coop, with no visiter access. Precautions need to be taken when you have a business or guests on your property period.

I hope you get it taken care of! B&B does mean Bed and Breakfast, correct? Just double checking.

-Kim

I'm so sorry about your attack rooster. I think there are some threads on here about various methods for handling these kinds of roosters. I also had an attack rooster, who, last Sunday, tried to beat me to a pulp. He truly was not letting up... My husband had to intervene. About 10 minutes later, we, uh, culled that rooster. That was an absolute last resort, but I have 2 five-year-old children to think about... Not to mention my own safety. I would never try to give a mean rooster away. Who would want him anyway? This particular rooster had attacked my children and my husband in the past, but had never shown any aggression towards me. I am still sporting about 8 bruises on my lower extremities. Very frustrating turn of events. Hope you have better results than I did.

(On the bright side, I still have two roosters who are pretty calm and kind.)

Kendra

Quote:
Being you do own a business where visitors are frequent you would be better off with just chickens. The whole idea of a B & B is lazy hospitality with a country twist... A rooster chasing or marking a guest is bad for business (in Chef School I was taught that a woman who has a good experience in a restaurant tells 10 of her friends - if she has a bad experience she tells 20 of her friends.).

Back
Top Bottom