Coffee with The Three Tenors

MelissaSueGA

In the Brooder
8 Years
Jul 8, 2011
Woodstock
Sorry, this is a repost, but I originally posted in the wrong area! Thanks...

Hey Ya'll,
I am a first time chicken owner-and BYC poster- and have quite a few questions. So thanks in advance...
I got 12 chicks 12/13 weeks ago, 8 of whom(the buff and splash Orpingtons and blue and black ameraucanas) where straight run and I am confused about sex. I had ID one of my black ameraucanas as a boy and sure enough last week he started to honk like a goose whilst working on his crow. I had never seen him at it as he would only crow around my parents and was always quiet as a church mouse when I was near. SSOOo yesterday morning when I walked out of the house and heard crowing I high-tailed it to the coop to peep in the window and what did I see...... Three-Chickens-a-crowin'. Sure enough Nigel-the ameraucana was at it on the roost and my 2 lap orpingtons were joining in.
I have been thinking the Orps where hens and was rather surprised. I would describe them a being rather brassy and I almost had the feeling thay where simply trying to mock Nigel. I know I am crazy:) Is this possible? They where sitiing on the roost rather than standing as little Nigel was. Do rooster ever sit when they crow? I would post pics but I don't have my camera this week. Does anyone have any pics handy of their 13 week old Splash and Buff Orpingtons? Am I in denile? Crazy? But more importantly, who wants my little boys?
big_smile.png

Quote:
First of all,
welcome-byc.gif
!

Now. If those birds are crowing, they are roosters. Sorry, you're just in denial
sad.png
They are, in a sense, mocking each other. It's like a contest - "Oh, I can crow louder, longer, and better than you!"

Only sexually mature, dominant hens in a rooster-less flock will crow. This is because they, as the only alpha, take on the responsibilities of the male they don't have. They more commonly mount the other hens, sometimes crow, and rarely will even grow spurs!

Pictures will be needed once you have a camera, but rest assured that those crowing are roos.

Back
Top Bottom