runner egg emergency incubator *NEW PICS*hatched still attached to egg

jdywntr

Songster
10 Years
Oct 31, 2009
Somerville, AL
I put 3 unhatched runner duck eggs under my broody silkie yesterday. I live in FL and its in the 90's outside. This morning, 1 of the eggs had pipped. a few hour(2) later the hole was a bit bigger and it was peeping. For the last hour or so, no progress and whenever I check, no more movement/peeping. Could it be too hot under her? She has never hatched eggs before and I know my duck mom was standing up occasionally but I think the silkie is just sitting. Any suggestions?

Last edited:
Well, I checked on the one and it was dead. I removed it from the shell and it looked normal then I buried it. It had about half of the end off beak was out. I am surprised because it seemed so strong this morning. It was VERY hot under my silkie. It is in the mid-90's today and I don't think she did anything but sit on the eggs. I took the remaining 2 and brought them inside after setting up an emergency incubator. Have never done this so I will see what happens. One has internally pipped I can see a crack and the shell looks like it has moved out a bit.

aww srry to hear it dead hope the other 2 make it always wanted ducks but my mom wont let me get any since we dont have a pond
sad.png

I don't have a pond either. I get the kiddie pools out for them and they are VERY excited. Not all breeds need ponds.
wink.png
Sorry mom.

thats what i was trying to say to her lol im hoping to be moving here soon with my bf and his family and i think they will let me get ducks i cant wait see ppl selling all the time and so cute xD

Quote:
hello jdywntr! i live in florida too, it has been sooo hot and miserable lately!
roll.png
my dads scovy hen brooded (not sure if right word lol) some eggs and 9 hatched. out of the 9 only 4 lived. he didn't really know what he was doing though and never did anything to intervene or help, it was all the hen. but she did it in this weather with no help
big_smile.png

It's been so hot we went from winter right into summer. My boys are on strike I think because of the heat.

The 2nd hatchling died.
sad.png
I now know what people mean when they say "shrink wrapped" in the shell. I am assuming that it was not humid enough. I have a damp washcloth and bowl of water in there. Maybe I had the lid to open? I have closed it completely, there are little holes on the side for air. I read on here that some people put damp paper towels over the eggs which is what I have done now. The remaining egg looks to have pipped internally (a little spot poking out). I'm hoping for the best. I feel so bad that two most likely perfectly healthy babies died because of my inexperience.
fl.gif

Back
Top Bottom