the blue gene

chicken_boy_Kurt

Songster
11 Years
Mar 20, 2008
I know what % you get if you cross a blue to a blue. And I know what you get from a splash and black (as long as the black carries the blue gene). But if I crossed two blacks would I still get 100% blues? And the same with splashes. And if I crossed a blue bird with a splash bird what would the % of blue splash and black be? Thanks in advance for the answers.

You're almost on the right track except that a black bird does not carry a "blue" gene. If a black bird has a single blue gene it is then blue. If it has two blue genes it is then splash. Blue is created by a modifier that dilutes black to blue. The breakdown is listed below:

Blue x Blue will give you 25% Black (without the blue gene) 50% Blue (with one blue gene) 25% splash (with two blue genes).

Black x Blue will give you 50% Black and 50% Blue.

Black x Splash will give you 100% Blue.

Blue x Splash will give you 50% Blue and 50% Splash.

Splash x Splash will give you 100% Splash

Guitartists,
When you say self blue do you mean the Lavender gene?

lav X black = all blacks carrying the lav gene

black/lav X black/lav = 25% lavenders, 50% black/lav and 25% pure black - it is best not to keep any of these blacks because you don't know visually which is pure and which is a carrier but you can test mate them later if you need to grow them all for some reason

lav X lav = 100% lavender HS

I think that is it, thank you
smile.png

Quote:
So if I crossed a black to a black I would get 100% black? Thanks for clearing that up. Poultry genetics are confusing for me.

Back
Top Bottom