Chicken pluckers - please excuse my ignorance

Mikey D

Songster
8 Years
Jul 12, 2011
Apache Junction AZ
Howdy Folks,

I'm new to this whole chicken thing - grew up in suburbia - asphalt roads, concrete sidewalks and chickens in supermarkets. I am about 45 days from getting my first peepers (eggs, pets & grandchildren entertainment) and am considering a few meat birds as well. I read a thread in here about a whizbang & not knowing at all what it was youtubed it.

COOL!

I love building things ( just for creations sake) and have a question about this type of plucker (gosh I am going to get in so much trouble with that word!)

Does slamming the bird around in a drum have any adverse effects?

I saw a home made one that seemed to use short lengths of garden hose (I think) ...
*** EDIT - It was 1/4" airline hose with 5/16" bolts threaded in to hold it ***

Homemade plucker linkey

... and it was quite aggressive on the bird. I'm not worried about hurting a dead bird
tongue.png
just about broken bones, smashed organs etc... Or does it possibly tenderize the silly thing?

Thanks in advance!

Mikey

Last edited:
Wow that worked quick! Looked rather interesting though. I have no idea about your questions but I do want to learn how to do this from one of you locals sometime.

A good operating tub plucker will occasionally tear skin and break a leg.......I would be very leary about tossing my bird in to something that is flaining it with the head of a bolt.

Quote:
I believe that the operational bit is a rubber hose. It looked to be about 4 - 5" long. there is probably about an inch or so of bolt sticking into the hose where it is attached to the inside of the drum and the top of the rotating disk.

Shoot - that looked good to me. Often times people will dunk in ice water after the scalding water to help the skin keep from tearing in a plucker.... like in Frugals instructional post on killing and processing a chicken. You could also look around for offical poultry Plucking Fingers .

I've hand plucked my first two chickens - wishing all the while that I had a whizbang or something like it.

Far be it for me to rain on anybodies parade but. the rotating plate in the botton is over a $100.00 the 3/4 hp motor is 75.00 the pulley and shaft with the pillow blocks is 75.00 and on and on. That plucker is a good plucker, but it aint $20.00, try 250-300.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom