Playhouse Coop as Parakeet Aviary...Finished & moved in - PICS!

arlee453

Songster
12 Years
Aug 13, 2007
near Charlotte NC
I've been keeping my mind off my peahen eggs in the bator the last week by working on building an aviary for my parakeets.

I really like to watch them, but the noise drives me nuts in the house, not to mention the mess. After doing some research, it looks like they can pretty readily handle temps down in the 50's and below for short periods of time.

Since we only have a few really bitterly cold nights here, I thought an aviary type cage would work to put out on the deck, near the house where the bricks would absorb heat in the winter and radiate it back out at night. With the addition of a heat lamp for the really cold nights, and plastic sheeting to block cold winds, I think they will be fine outdoors here - worst case on really cold nights I can bring them back in using the cage they are in now.

Anyway, after several weeks mulling this over and trying to find a plan for a aviary that would work, I came across Dennis's Playhouse coop plans.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/coops/playhouse-coop.html

Hmmm thinks I.... I can leave out the nest box part, use hardware cloth instead of larger weave wire.... rig a protective wire box around a heat lamp...wire for an outlet....

I got the walls framed out over the last few days, and was able to get them connected today. Overall dimensions are 4' by 8'. Left to do is to build the floor - going to modify his floor frame design to make a plywood floor built on a frame and covered with coroplast (corrugated plastic) for easy cleaning. I am going to use tin roofing - I had to build on the budget - and then some paint and trim.

I reversed the design to better fit the space I had on the deck, and made the doorway a bit wider so I didn't have to cut my 36" width of wire so many times. I'm also considering whether or not I will need to build out an 'air lock' of sorts to keep them from flying outside when I open the door to cleanup, etc.

Any other suggestions or additions to make it a good parakeet habitat?

I've got a small fountain I'm going to put in there as well as some branches of different sizes, etc. The sheltered area will have the heatlamp and some perches for them. I figure I can add a nest box to the outside if I ever want to down the road too...

DSCF1658.jpg

Last edited:
I'm also considering whether or not I will need to build out an 'air lock' of sorts to keep them from flying outside when I open the door to cleanup, etc.

Beautiful job!
big_smile.png

I think you'll probabably appreciate the "air lock" in the long run. I'm glad I did pretty much the same thing in our main run. Our favorite EE hen loves to fly to me whenever I enter the run and she knows that I have food. It's not so bad when I have a free hand and she lands on my arm but when my hands are both full it doesn't seem quite "so cute".

I'll find pix if you want but our air lock is larger than what you'll need.

Dawn​

Updated pics:

I've got everything together, painted and secured - moving day will be in the morning for the parakeets!

DSCF1665.jpg

I am very pleased with how it turned out. I could have done a bit better paint job, but I really HATE to paint and was almost out of the paint (leftover paint from chicken coop).

I could also dress it up a bit with some cute white trim, but I'm OK with it for now.

I'll post pics after I get everything moved in tomorrow...

I think it is great! They will love it. You can always put a fan outside for the really hot temp days if needed and a heat lamp inside for the cold winter nights.

clap.gif
clap.gif
clap.gif

Last edited:
I LOVE it!! Your budgies will be so happy in their new aviary. And you know you'll want to breed them, since there is room for lots more. I like your cage plan, and it looks easy to build. Now, I want to build one for my cockatiels! Thanks for the great idea:eek:)

Well, it's done and the birds are moved in. They are so freaked out still though - I think they will learn to appreciate their expanded space in time, but for now they think someone has done something very mean to them, I think. I guess if you've spent your whole life in a relatively small cage, to have that much open room around you is scary.

Anyway, on to the pics...

The full view from the side:

DSCF1680.jpg

Full view from the front:

DSCF1682.jpg

A close up of the fountain - ain't it cute! I know they will like to take bird baths when they finally get it figured out!

DSCF1672.jpg

A closer up view of the inside - you can see the tree branch I put in for them to use as a perch. I used zip ties to securely attach it to the wall of the cage. Also, I'm using a pretty hanging bird feeder as a feeder for them.

DSCF1678.jpg

Now if they will only figure out where the food and water is - I think they are just so overwhelmed - poor babies!

Finally, a view from inside the house. i work from home full time and my office is in the sun room. The picture isn't the clearest, but I look straight out the window from my desk and into the aviary. Now I can enjoy the birds without their incessant squaking in the background of my business calls!

DSCF1692.jpg

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom