New coop - interior progress... Chicks now moved in!

chickpa

In the Brooder
12 Years
Mar 29, 2007
This coop business has turned from a weekend whim to an obsession. And finally, the fab 4 are out of the water can and into the chick resort. Here are some pictures of the exterior with the new added man door, chicken door, and a nest door for egg retrieval:

IMG_0804.jpg

IMG_0815.jpg

IMG_0805.jpg

IMG_0806.jpg

And here are a couple of the interior. I am going for the deep liter method. I have one nest box (12 x 14) and two perch boards - each about 30 inches long. I was pleased with how the roost worked out because I was able to support it from the sides and eliminate any need for legs for easy cleaning and more free space for the sisters. There is a hanging 12 lb feeder and the water will eventually be outside. The run construction is this weekend. The interior is about 5x7 for my four girls. The run will be about 6x10. I have read lots about wire and plan on using 1" welded wire along the lower 2 feet of the run and the rest chicken wire. I live in the city so I think that will suffice.

IMG_0809.jpg

IMG_0810.jpg

Their first night, they were a wee bit stressed as they had not been in the dark or the cold before. They seemed to be getting more comfortable with the new space later today.
smile.png
I just need to fashion a run and paint the coop and I will be all done. Any suggestions?

Quote:
I say crack open a cold beverage of your choice and celebrate your fabulous coop!
clap.gif

I'm really impressed with your carpentry and use of space in a small area, and the run is sure to be just as great. The hens will love it once they realize how good they have it!

Though, if that's the board for their ramp you should probably add some "rung" strips -it seems pretty steep. But that could just be me.
tongue.png

AWESOME work!

Chickpa.....what a great "obsession" Wow, I am sure they are going to love thier new home. You should be VERY proud! I agree on the ramp....needs a few ladder rungs....so they can grip on to get in. Thats it...your done! GREAT JOB!!!!

The ladder rungs are on the list of things to do. I leaned my ramp into place for the photo before it was done. I thought someone might notice.
roll.png
I will definitely take the expert advice of mlheran and crack open a fine malted baverage to celebrate. Perhaps I can find one with a chicken motif.

Really, really nice! I love how finished ti looks with the siding and roof shingles & cool blue door!

Mine is being built this weekend... wish I could have convinced my DH to make mine larger. Sigh.
hmm.png

ETA: Are you in the NW somewhere, 'cause your home looks like the ones around here & your trees do to!
big_smile.png

Last edited:
Are you in the NW somewhere, 'cause your home looks like the ones around here & your trees do to! big_smile

You have a good eye. I live in Portland, Oregon. Congrats on your new coop too. Post some pictures when he is done!​

Good job ! It really looks nice.

Another suggestion. How close are your roosts to the windows ? A raccoon can reach in and grab a chicken, pull part of it out and eat it there. A safer route would be hardware cloth on the inside of the chicken wire.

Back
Top Bottom