Trying to help a BO chick - UPDATED w/ PICS

OHMYCHICKIES

Songster
11 Years
May 28, 2008
I got some BO's a week old and decided to get the last one they had which was looking ill. It looks like it hops on one leg and the wings and body are shorter than the others. I'm separating it because it gets ran over by others and plus introducing the 3 week old BR's doesn't help. I was thinking of putting it in with the others every once in a while so that way when she's all better (hopefully) it won't be so hard on her introducing her back to the group. Do you think that right?

Last edited:
She's still alive and hopping around more. She underdeveloped compared to the others and that worries me. The others are starting to get tail feathers and nothing on her. Her wings are half the size of the others. I'll be taking a picture of her soon. I did have her separated and she seemed like she misses the other girls. I did separate the Buff Orp from the 3 week Bard Rocks. So she's with her kind and they're treating her well. They don't trample her like before and they let her eat. She sleeps quite a bit but she's walking around more than when I first got her.

All the chicks, sick one on the left

11063_bochicks.jpg

this is the sick one

11063_sickybo.jpg

this is one of the other chicks

11063_bochick.jpg

Compared to the other chicks, the sick one's eyes seems cloudy. Make sure it is getting plenty or water. You might add some vitamins to the water. Here is something my grand father would do for a sick chick, if he thought it wasn't going to make it. He would pit a drop of his corn liquor in an eye dropper of water. Sometimes it worked and sometimes it didn't. But he always said it made it a little easier for those that didn't.

I think the cloudiness was probably the flash and angle. Although her eye is not as opened as the others. I'm giving her medicated chick starter but not sure if they gave her that where I got her. She doesn't want to drink when I try to get her to drink, she kinda follows what the others do.

Quote:
alcohol is extremely toxic to birds.
Give this little one some live culture yogurt (unflavored) sprinkle some of her starter on top to get her started eating it. You can also offer some boiled eggyolk and I would also give it three drops of Polyvisol Enfamil (unflavored) in beak once a day for a week. Provide a nice fluffy washcloth or such for it to snuggle into and not feel so alone .

I think the chick will be making it. Her eyes are more open and now she stopped chirping so much. She would chirp most of the time, sleeping or awake, a chirp that always sound the same and constant. Now she goes and gets food/water by herself (not only when everyone else does). She doesn't sleep as much as she used to either.

I am happy for you
big_smile.png
,,,,,,I didnt think it was going to turn out well but I was pleasantly surprised,,,,,,,I had a bantam bo same thing( like the same) that didnt make it
sad.png

Thank you, actually she's even doing better. She's now using the leg that was bad. She doesn't hop anymore, she wobbles
smile.png

I caught her giving herself a dust bath, I was amazed. I'm still hoping she moves forward and not backwards.
fl.gif

Back
Top Bottom