Pickled eggs

crooked stripe

Songster
12 Years
Jan 14, 2008
N.E Ohio- Suffield
O'K I will admit it, I am a pickled egg freak. How long do I wait till my fresh eggs are old enough to hard boil them? I here they are a pain to peal when fresh. Is there a trick in pealing fresh eggs. John

I read on here somewhere....someone poked a tiny hole in the air sac end and then dropped in the water to boil straight from the coop and he said that peeling of the egg was easy. Not sure if that's true and if you try it let us know
smile.png

Edit to Add: The best eggs to peel are 1-2 weeks old
smile.png

Last edited:
I'm like Katy...I leave mine out on the kitchen counter for a week or so when I want to make pickled eggs.....

I have hard boiled fresh eggs and had no problems with peeling as long as I put about 3 tablespoons of salt in the water with them. If you do a large batch then you will need to add more salt. I then drain them and let them cool all the way before I peel. Once in awhile one will be stubborn, but for the most part, it works really well for me.

I just wanna say that last week was the first time I've ever had a pickled egg and I LOVED it! Bought some eggs that afternoon and made some.
smile.png
(My chickens are only 2 1/2 months old)
Is it normal that the jar, when I open it, smells kinda stinky (sulphury)??

Do any of you have any good picked egg recipes? I like them and would love to try making my own but have never seen a recipe that I thought I would like.

Quote:
I have always wondered how to pickle eggs. Is it the same as making pickles? Dill and vinegar etc....

Back
Top Bottom