My "Garden Coop" project: The inside is finished! *NEW PICS*

Nonny

Songster
8 Years
May 16, 2011
Brisbane, Australia
I'm all excited and most of my friends roll their eyes when I start raving on about chickens so I'm sharing with you lot.
smile.png

I finally found a place that has cheap timber (plus a little bird told me I'm getting a circular saw for my birthday tomorrow) so I've arranged for the timber to arrive on Tuesday while my 2yr old is at daycare and I'm going to make a start on our new coop as soon as I put the 1yr old down for her nap! It's a Garden Coop one and I'm hoping to do most of the construction myself with my lovely man proving a spare pair of hands and brute force from time to time since I'm vertically challenged and not terribly strong.

I'll be hopefully posting pics of my progress (although I'm not allowed to put up ones that are too detailed of the coop design) and I'm aiming to have it completed by the middle of December - 6 weeks should be more than enough time I reckon. *fingers crossed*

Watch this space!
big_smile.png

Last edited:
Congrats on your planning.....it is exciting! Let the eyes roll......those are the ones who'll be calling you first for your eggs!!! Some of my family & friends did the same.

1st HELLO DOWNUNDER!!!!!!!!! Second.I got it sooooo bad from my friends.I am into a certain type of antique car that I have became a "world known expert".I have done these cars for 25 years. I got 3 chickens at first.Now,My chickens are my life! I get it all the time.You keep doing what you love! You friends just dont get it,but they aint going anywhere.

End of day 1 and I have completed a single bit of framing to go on the front of the coop. LOL

It doesn't sound like much, but it took me about an hour all up including figuring out how to use my new compound mitre saw, measuring and cutting the wood, then nailing it all
together. Tomorrow, now that I have a better idea of what I'm doing, I hope to finish another one or two sides of it.
smile.png

(Oh, I didn't get a circular saw for my birthday after all..... what I got was vouchers to go and buy one myself, so I got one that mounted on a table rather than hand held, which means I won't get fatigued as quickly wielding it and it's a bit safer to use as well)

Last edited:
Day 2:

I've just finished framing up all four walls, and the only injuries so far are four nice bruises on my left hand thanks to my hammering technique.... I'm a quick learner though! By the fourth injury I figured out what I was doing wrong. LOL

The next step is to sand and paint them before I put them together.

Time taken so far: 3 hours and 45 minutes.

Cost so far: about $100 worth of timber and nails.

Day 2 pics...

The first piece of framing... seeing it like this gives you an idea of the size!
smile.png

91980_coop7.jpg

The four completed sides waiting to be sanded and painted.
91980_coop6.jpg

The girls checking it out.
91980_coop2.jpg

Good for you! Hope your birthday was a great one, and you are enjoying your present. You are doing an awesome job! and with two little ones...WOW!

My family and friends just smile and nod when I go on and on about my chickens.
hu.gif
This is a great place for people like us, isn't it? My birthday is later this month and my daughter asked what I wanted. When I told her I wanted a real roof on my chicken run she just laughed. She said she'd talk to her brothers and her dad and get the ball rolling.
yippiechickie.gif

Back
Top Bottom