nesting box pictures please

bantamboy

Songster
9 Years
Apr 9, 2011
Conway Sc
hi everyone could you all please post pictures of your nesting boxes i need ideas
smile.png
thanks

Hey Bantamboy, Here a two variations I have done on two seperate coops....first pics of "big girl boxes" and second ones of New Bantam Bungalow in the process of building. Hope this helps. good luck,
erik
69010_new_chicks_005.jpg
Outside view

69010_nest_box_re-do_002.jpg
Inside view. Vee shaped plywood on front is to discourage them from wanting to roost on the edge of boxes and poop in them.

69010_bantam_coop-day_10-roost_dividers_004.jpg
Newest coop....Different door style for collecting eggs on this one.

69010_bantam_coop-day_10-roost_dividers_001.jpg
Same idea on inside with the thin plywood cut in a vee to keep them from roosting.

those are some awesome designs and very creative. i was thinking of something very similar to that to be able to gatter the eggs without having to go inside the coop. thanks for the pics

Quote:
Just a word of caution if you are not wanting to go inside of the coop to pick eggs, please please please from time to time to, stick your head in there to see what is going on. My nesting boxes are inside because I refuse to have outside access because (for safety reasons) I have to check in on the inside of the coop to see what is going on. A few months ago I had a snake in 1 of my nesting boxes (nesting box that is on the ground inside the coop for my ducks) and 1 of my hens was experiencing a heat related illness on a separate occasion. If I would have had outside access nesting boxes and would have picked the eggs from the outside and went on about my day, I would have never known the snake was inside eating the eggs and my hen would have died because I would not have been able to give her emergency help that she needed because I wouldn't have checked inside. If you have a small flock, then the outside access would work great for you. I have a large flock, so I need to see what the girls are doing inside.

This is the snake that I found. But it you have outside access, this fella may be waiting for you when you open it up.
6612_s7.jpg

Keep us posted and post pics of your nesting boxes.
thumbsup.gif

Last edited:
oh dont worry i definatly go in and check all the time plus i have to keep filling their feed container up once or twice a week anyways and always something to be reapiared. i have had numerous snakes inside my coop and its harder to see them inside the coop especially after the sun starts to set in the evening its easier to use a flashlight from the outside and get them without sticking your hand into a dark hole lol dont wanna get bit

Quote:
yuckyuck.gif

LOL @ sticking hand into dark hole. Not a good feeling. I have done that a time or 2 when trying to pick eggs late at night with no flashlight. Scared the be-gee-sus out of me.
gig.gif

I don't have a picture but I have plastic organizer bins on a shelf. There is a wood frame around them that is just under the bin lip so they won't tip when the birds stand on the edge. I also have a door flap that drops to access the boxes from outside and the hole is tall enough to slide the box out with a chicken in it if need be (thinking ahead for broodies...) The way I've set it up, I could take the boxes out and make one big nest shelf but I'm trying it this way for ease of cleaning first. So far, so good! The girls don't seem to have a box preference which I found very odd.

i have done it many times and i hate it but thats what happens when i would wait till the last minute to go out there at night but sometimes it couldnt be helped with work schedules and stuff so it is what it is. but im trying to remedy that problem

We worked long and hard on our coop design, scouring BYC for good ideas. We loved the idea of external nesting boxes but needed some storage for supplies so this is what we came up with.

It's a very funtional design and our chickens seem to like it, we've only had 2 eggs in the run this summer when they were beginning to lay eggs for us.

Back
Top Bottom