My hen is really sleepy and not eating.

onlyme8

Songster
8 Years
Apr 25, 2011
Westmoreland county, PA
My plymoth rock hen is not eating or drinking and seems really sleepy. I just noticed today that she was sitting right in the middle of the door and I made her get up so the others could get out, but when she did she had trouble standing and then fell down. I also noticed that she just stood still for like 20 minutes without moving. I think my chicken is really sick
sad.png
what should I do?
Thank you!

I don't think so,but I just noticed this problem today, so I could just not know. We actually have 21 chickens so it's hard to keep track of them all.
But,We did have a rat incident ( it was in the chicken feed trash can ) so I'm wondering if that has something to do with it?
She is only about 7 months old give or take a few days.

Last edited:
Has she been wormed? Is her comb bright red or pale. Check her for mites under her wings, around the butt. Also check her for scaley legs. These could all weaken a hen down. gloria Jean

Yes, keep her warm and very comfy, creature comforts close at hand. The symptoms could be indicative of any number of different ailments. From the sounds of it, she is in big trouble so if an avian vet is possible I would get her there promptly as there may not be time to trial and error this......
Though do provide as much infinite detail as you can think of here - diet, what her poo looks like (normal?), answers to questions in above post, when last egg laid (you may not know with that many birds...), etc etc etc.....
I may not be able to see your response in real time but hopefully others will....
JJ.

We give them a mixed food- cracked corn & regular chicken feed, although I'm not sure what kind they are, I do know that we get it from TSC and that it's one of the cheaper kind.
And as I said before, we did have a rat incident, but I don't know if that could've done anything.
As for her poop or when she last laid, I'm not exactly sure since we have 21 other chcikens.

Last edited:
I don't know if this helps, but a few months ago I had a four month old rooster who was incredibly ill. He stopped eating/drinking and would fall asleep standing up in the middle of the yard. He would also do this thing where he would open his mouth as if he was trying to crow but nothing would come out. I hand fed him a mushy mixture of chick starter and warm water, and also some antibiotics crushed down and mixed with water, and after about a week and a half he was getting back to being his old self. He's still hale and healthy today. If these symptoms sound like your chicken, it might be worth a shot.

Edit: I fed him just a little bit at a time, but I did it like six times a day. And also hand fed him just straight water.

Last edited:
We brought her into the basement last night and put her in a crate with food and water. I checked on her this morning and it doesn't look good.
sad.png

I think she's dead
sad.png
sad.png
hit.gif
hit.gif

Back
Top Bottom