Why dont we wash the eggs???

ladyomaha

Chirping
8 Years
Nov 26, 2011
Kansas
I had a few eggs that had alot of Feces on them, and was reading that you dont wash eggs that we incubate....Just wondering why we dont wash them, and how to you get the feces off with out harming the embryo?

I have washed off really super poopy eggs and they hatched ok but if they're not too bad I just take a scrubby and lightly wipe it off the best I can.

Here is a Pheasant egg I hatched that was real poopy. I did clean it off some but it was really bad.
IMG_3161.jpg

When eggs are laid they have a protective coating, called the "bloom", from the hen's reproductive tract. This bloom acts as a barrier between the eggshell (which is porous) and the outside world. It prevents bacteria from getting into the pores of the shell and infecting the developing chick.

Feces on the egg are an aesthetic issue, not a hygiene issue. I would use a DRY paper towel at MOST (sandpaper, for example, will remove the bloom and damage the shell), but personally I would leave it alone.

The reason that washing is harmful is that water aides bacterial penetration through the egg shell. The egg has many natural defenses to prevent bacteria from moving through the shell. Washing removes the egg shell's natural defenses against bacterial entry, and water provides an environment that allows the organisms to literally swim through the shell pores. When this occurs, the egg is overwhelmed by more bacteria than it can destroy and egg contamination results. Several washing aids and antibiotics have been tested that destroy the bacteria but have not consistently improved egg hatchability.
If dirty eggs must be used for hatching, it is recommended that they be incubated in an incubator separate from the clean eggs. This prevents contamination of clean eggs and chicks if the dirty eggs explode and during hatching

Generally speaking, it's not recommended to wash the eggs, because it washes off their proctective
coating called the 'bloom'. Doing so will allow disease and bacteria to enter the egg. People who do not
wash the eggs either avoid a dirty eggs all together and only hatch eggs that were in the nest box, or
'pick' any dry crusty dirt/poop off with tweasers, being sure not to jab or stick the egg.

You can dip the eggs (not wash) in oxine solution, then lay them on a paper towel to dry prior to
incubation which will eliminate bacteria, but avoid washing off the bloom.

Best of wishes

Last edited:
Thats some Helpful info, thanks for letting me know. I just always incubate whatever comes out of the Coop, and we have ducks, and chickens together, and so I gather eggs in the morning and poof in the bator they go. Never washed em off before, but had a BAD one with feces this time. Was just curious thats all. Thanks again

It's not terribly sanitary under a broody. So I don't worry too much unless the eggs are pretty poopy then I wipe them off with a scrubby the best I can.

Back
Top Bottom