Interesting idea (truely green roof)

Anny

Songster
11 Years
Apr 24, 2008
Detroit Michigan
I saw this online and I thought it was very interesting.

chickencoop-3.jpg

It's a small chicken coop with a edible garden roof! What a great way to save space! Does any one on here have anything like that for their chicken coop or run?

* I saw a design for a doghouse in a mag this week with a herb garden on top. Weird thing was it was a rocker shaped box bed canted at an angle off the back of the dog house. Designers, sheesh. (rolleyes)

You can! They make green roofs for huge houses.

Here are some more green roof pictures:

4_29_2008-reddoghouse.jpg

Here is a living roof dog house.

sg-wa_judysohl.jpg

Here is another green roofed chicken coop

And here these guys are turnin
skytrenches-1107tuffshed.jpg
g this sheds roof into a living roof.

You can even make one for your barn or shed or your house!

I like it. I want to build an earth lodge one day. A traditional structure that is framed and such but covered in dirt. I think it would be a great for a coop and well insulated naturally.

Very interesting ones pictured in this thread.

I put up with a flat roof on my coop for 10 years
barnie.gif

I learned that a solid sheet of plastic will pull loose from the roofing nails as the material expands and contracts. I shoulda/coulda gone with roofing felt and a heavy layer of asphalt but just flat couldn't bring myself to use something so aesthetically unpleasing.

A little gabled metal roof over the top was the solution and I'm glad I did that but this idea of a green roof could have been the answer! The synthetic rubber would have been stabilized by the planting medium - potting soil or a mix of peat and perlite/vermiculite would be much lighter than most soil types.

A "pond liner" underneath should work I suppose. It must be about the same thing as membrane roofing material.

Steve

edited to say: thank you, Anny
smile.png

Last edited:
Looks like a happy place for Lisa and Jackie, MacMomma.

These folks set up their greenroof coop this Spring: http://www.rooftopview.net/?p=1161

They
used sedums and I see online that others suggest lavender and wildflowers. Beekissed, I don't think most of these would interest your chickens, altho' I'm not sure about the sedums. They'd probably scratch the roof to shreds if they could get up there, however. The lavender would sure improve the fragrance in the vicinity just about now
smile.png
!

Cob chicken coop?!? Are we talking corn cob? They'd eat themselves out of house and home
wink.png

Steve

edited: one could probably use wire netting in the soil and that would not only keep the chickens from scratching it up but secure the roof if it was sloped and not flat.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom