Someone please help me figure out my chicks! Updated pics.

naturemom

Songster
13 Years
May 28, 2007
northern IL
The third grade at the school where I teach hatched some eggs as a part of a farming block, and 5 chicks are now home with me, with 2 more coming as soon as they are brought back by a child who took them home for the long weekend and wants to keep them but is not prepared to do so. Most are cross-breeds. The farm the eggs came from has the following breeds:
Here's the list of Hens:

Rhode Island Red - Bantam
Wyandotte
Turken
Buff Cochin
Silkie - Bantam
Top Hat (polish?)
Light Brahma
Dark Brahma
Araucana
Siebright

She has 3 Roosters:
Top Hat (polish?)
Rhode Island Red - Bantam
One other unidentified rooster of standard size

They are 3 weeks old, but the pics I have so far are from when they were 10 days old. I'll try to get some more tomorrow.

Jack at 3 weeks old
DSCN0796.jpg

Lucy: RIR/Sebright? 10 days old
DSCN0678.jpg

Neptune: RIR/Brahma? 10 days old
DSCN0674.jpg

DSCN0666.jpg

Mr. Snuffles
DSCN0680.jpg

DSCN0679.jpg

Mr. Snuffles and Chip (RIR) at 3 weeks old
DSCN0797.jpg

All of the ones I have at the moment, at 3 weeks, Looby in the foreground, Duke hiding behind her, and in the back, from L to R, Jack, Mr. Snuffles and Chip
DSCN0794.jpg

The 2 whose heads you can see in this one are Duke (white) and Chip (brown)
DSCN0798.jpg

Last edited:
Ok here is my best stab at it.
Jack, i would call him an easter egger. He is a araucana mix therefor he is called an EE. Based on feather color and leg color.

Neptune- I think you are right with the Brahma and RIR mix

Lucy- RIR, and Wyandotte or Cochin
Looby- Tophat seabright
Duke- seabright and unknown
Chip-RIR
Mr Snuffles- Not sure. He has the face of a turkin but I am not sure who the father would be.

That is my best guess. Hope that it helps.
Kristyne

Thanks. That does help. I was thinking Jack's and EE too. Mr. Snuffles really has me stumped. I hadn't even thought of Turken! I've never met a Turken. There was one that the kids hatched that was definitely one: it has a naked neck. It didn't occur to me that Jack might be one too, but now that you mention it it does seem possible, especially since he would only be 1/2 turken, which would explain the feathers on his neck. Sadly, I think most of them are boys, so they'll have to go elsewhere.

I would say for sure that you can keep neptune and Lucy, they both definantly look like hens. the rest I guess you will find out when they crow. Untill them, enjoy them. Are you finding new homes for the roos?
Kristyne

I'm hoping at least Neptune, Lucy and Chip turn out to be girls. There is another family from school wanting some chicks, and they can take roos, but I don't know if they'll want them all. Otherwise the farm the eggs came from will take them back. That was one of the reasons I decided to take them instead of buying sexed chicks. If sexing is 90% accurate and I get some of that other 10% I don't know what I would do with them.

Back
Top Bottom