Top for chicken run

Lee1

In the Brooder
11 Years
May 20, 2008
Up State New York
Hello, I have setup a 12' by 6' galvanized dog kennel run for my chickens (acess from coop). I really would like to cover run but really dont have an idea how to do it? Really can not attach wood to run? anyone have any ideas. Thanks Lee

I use tarps and zip ties on some of mine. My husband has started making pipe frames for the tops of them so that the tarps and screen material is at a peak, and it will be better - I'll try to post pics sometime. In the rain, the water will pool in one spot if it's flat, and that is bad, the tarps need to be at an angle for run off, but they're great for shade and protection from predator birds. If you just need shade, shade cloth from the nursery works great too. You can buy it by the foot/yard here (Lowes and Home Depot).
Good Luck.
Tina

I have the same issue, but our run will be bigger...anyway, we recently had 3 large eagles adopt our property as a hunting ground, so we need to find a top for our run... well what we've decided to do was get three or four of the shade sails from canadian tire, home depot is another place you can get them, or ikea... and we're going to be mounting them to the top of the run with those plastic ties. It keeps it shady, and deters the eagles from dropping in... plus we're mounting some fake birds of prey around the run, it seems to work really well here.

Thanks everyone, Iwill be shutting door on henhouse at night , so will probably do the plastic fencing over top with plastic ties. Lee1

You may want, or need, a more permanent roof, that will withstand rain, snow, and winds, come winter. I used the ripple plastic, on a run not much smaller than yours, and it works great. You do have to build a support structure, so that takes a little more time, and money initially. well worth it in my mind though.

100_0416.jpg

100_0420.jpg

I use PVC Pipes and deer netting from lowes.

You connect the PVC pipe to your fence poles to make 'arcs' across, and then drape the netting over and attach with zip ties.

It works great and the arch of the pipe helps keep rain/snow/leaves etc from sagging down the center of the cover. It would be sturdy enough at that width of coverage to support lightweight tarps or shade also, and gives you good head room inside the run.

the pipes are about $1 each - you can even get the grey ones use for electrical conduit and they have connectors already on them. Look in the electrical aisle at Lowes or your local home improvement box store.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=20020

Edit to add - the above thread has pics of my PVC over the top of chain link fencing setup.

Last edited:
We have a tin roof. You do a wooden frame and put your tin on top. The 2x4's going across the run sit on the kennel pannels and the 1x6's fit over the outside of the kennel panel.
Entrance.jpg

Coopandruneastside.jpg

If you would like a different angle or more info PM me.

Quote:
Our run is 6' cyclone fencing with a gate in it for access to the coop. DH used 8' pressure treated posts to support the fencing (he's 6' and wanted to be able to stand upright in the run), and ran 2x4's between them - parallel to the top of the fence - and a few spanning the "roofline" to give it strength to hold a 40# raccoon. Then he ran hardware cloth over the top, attaching it with a staple gun and then zip ties where it connects with the cyclone fencing. (We have A LOT of raccoons in our neighborhood and he was determined that they would not have any opportunity to get into the coop OR the run, even though the chickens are secured in the pen at night. The thing is like Fort Knox to get into !! I am hoping to post pictures in the next day or so...)

Back
Top Bottom