Marans Thread for Posting Pics of Your Eggs, Chicks and Chickens

Status
Not open for further replies.

drom

Songster
11 Years
Jun 12, 2008
California
I thought I would start a new thread for people to post pictures because I personally love looking at pictures of other people's eggs, chicks and chickens.
pop.gif

And there are a few people who are close to getting their first Marans eggs pretty soon, which is very exciting! So please post away!!!

Hey Drom, you asked for it! You know alot of Marans people love to show their stuff! At least I hope more of them do! I am a wanna be purist (hope to eventually have more "pure" lines with a pedigree - mine are from various breeders right now) But I love my birds and have mediocre colored eggs right now.
Right now I have:

*One adult pair of Cuckoo Marans - hens lays the "mediocre" eggs, about a 4 on the color scale - Originally from Valentine Hatchery lines
CuckooeggsJuly08.jpg

* Two seven month old Cuckoo Marans hens - waiting for eggs
fl.gif
! Kelly Cratty and Iona McCormick lines

* Five Cuckoo Marans Teens - may be boys in there - 10+ weeks old? Records at work? unknown genetics
Maransteen.jpg

* Seven Black Copper Marans - plus 1 disabled - total 8 chicks - 4 weeks old - Parents are hens from Valentine Hatchery and Red Dirt Ranch, Rooster from Wade Jeane (sp?)
BCMarans2-1.jpg

I love colorful eggs! Cant wait for more! (Just wish I could stand how they taste?)
P1080508.jpg

Last edited:
I am excited too. One of my hens is getting a reddish comb and I saw one of the roos trying to breed her yesterday and she wasn't squatting perfectly, but she wasn't running away either. Her vent looked bigger and more pinkish than the others. I have been starting to look around casually for an egg every time I go feed, but so far, nothing. I heard someone making little contented clucking noises and scratching around in there, thought it might be my little Brownie, but when I looked, it was a ROO! Ligtning was checking things out and giving it his stamp of approval. He is such a girlie boy, I swear! It was like he was measuring for curtains and picking out paint, just rearranging the shavings, muttering to himself, clucking away. I had to turn away so he wouldn't see me laughing at him!

Quote:
thumbsup.gif

Those terra cotta colored eggs look perfectly delicious to me. And they look nice and large too!

I'd be happy to eat them for you-
I wonder if Marans eggs by the dozen will ever make it in to the markets? I am sure they must be in France.

Quote:
Oh, they're on the market now arent they? I paid $45 a dozen for my Black Copper Marans eggs
wink.png

Oh, you mean IN the market! Yeah, then we'd have supermarket marans hatching egg stories!

Last edited:
This is Presley. For some reason she loves to perch on your knee:

11818_marans_3_weeks_022.jpg

11818_marans_3_weeks_016.jpg

They're 3 weeks now so I let them in the coop in the day but at night they come back inside to sleep:

11818_marans_2_half_weeks_hide_and_seek.jpg

11818_11818_sleepyroo3.jpg

Last edited:
the french standard calls for feathers down the leg and the outside toe. Too heavy of feathering is a fault I believe. I haven't yet memorized the standard.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom